CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Easier method of creating a query based on a list of computers

Posted Mar 01, 2011 05:16 PM
      |   view attached
    Attached to this message is an Excel spreadsheet I use to create queries based on a list of computers. To use it, you will need to enable macros in the security section of options in Excel.

Using it is easy. Just paste a list of computers, one on each line, under the "Assets" label then click the Make Query button.

It will create a SQL query (and automatically place it in the Windows clipboard) that can be pasted into an ITCM (DSM) Query.

To do this, In DSM Explorer, right click on Queries, select New... and then select Computers.
    From there, click General Information, then Computer, then Host Name. Click OK.
    Now, right click on the (Host name = '') line in the Query Designer and click Edit SQL... Highlight everything that is there and paste your SQL statement from the spreadsheet to replace it.

Save your query and you're done. Now you can create your group based on this query and deploy software to those computers easily.

I hope this helps everyone simplify the task of building list-based queries as much as it has for me.

-Jack

... Also, the "Make Comma" button is useful for making a comma separated list of computers for use in the "Infrastructure Deployment" section of the DSM Explorer.

Feel free to post here with any comments or questions.

Attachment(s)

zip
    ITCMQueryMaker.zip   16 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Easier method of creating a query based on a list of computers

Posted Mar 16, 2011 10:55 AM
    Very nice, I have done a vbscript to do the same. But this excel is better :-)

tyvm

• 3.  RE: Easier method of creating a query based on a list of computers

Posted Mar 31, 2011 09:49 AM
    Interesting. This should help out a lot. I created an enhancement request awhile back that will allow importing a list of computers into CA to be grouped and used for software delivery. The enhancement request was approved but CA has yet to add this functionality.

• 4.  Re: Easier method of creating a query based on a list of computers

Posted Apr 11, 2019 04:39 AM

Very nice utility, I use it very often to quickly create a computer group for Software Deployment.