Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Trouble installing UC4 Windows agent/svc mgr /svc mgr dialog on Windows 2016

Posted Sep 30, 2020 09:40 AM
    My systems team turned over a windows 2016 server to me for installation of UC4 windows agent components.  When I try an run setup it seems the setup.exe cannot access the CAB file based upon the message box below.  Any ideas on how to overcome this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Trouble installing UC4 Windows agent/svc mgr /svc mgr dialog on Windows 2016

Posted Sep 30, 2020 10:05 AM
    Hi

theres no need to run the setup,exe - you can copy/paste the files as well. Before just create bin and temp folder and copy the agent binaries to the bin directory.

works for SMGR as well...

cheers, Wolfgang

------------------------------
    Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 3.  RE: Trouble installing UC4 Windows agent/svc mgr /svc mgr dialog on Windows 2016

Posted Sep 30, 2020 10:44 AM
    Edited by Timothy Yanosko Oct 01, 2020 09:32 AM

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Trouble installing UC4 Windows agent/svc mgr /svc mgr dialog on Windows 2016

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2020 02:26 AM
    Hi,
    please do not use the setup.
    Copy the Agent and Service Manager files and run the CAPKI setup in order to activate the secure communication between the Service Manager and the Automation Engine
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AA/12.3/DOCU/12.3/Automic%20Automation%20Guides/help.htm#ServiceManager/CAPKI.htm?Highlight=capki

Sr. Solution Architect
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Trouble installing UC4 Windows agent/svc mgr /svc mgr dialog on Windows 2016

Posted Oct 01, 2020 09:32 AM
    Thank you for that interesting response.

I find it funny that in the in the agent install video at 5:50 it explicitly states to run setup.exe, hence you can understand my confusion as this process has worked under prior window server releases.

I recommend Broadcom update either the install process documentation or make the changes necessary to setup.exe so it matches the documentation provided for this enterprise tool.

I will do this manually and update our internal documentation to reflect this process.

Be Safe!

Tim

• 6.  RE: Trouble installing UC4 Windows agent/svc mgr /svc mgr dialog on Windows 2016

Posted Oct 02, 2020 02:08 AM
    Good morning,

yeah in docu since V8 it was "recommended" to run setup.exe but the setup routine does basically the same as creating bin & temp folder and creates unnecessary Registry entries. And there was (at least in previous versions) a problem if you installed it from a network drive.

No Idea why Uc4/automic/CA/Broadcom insisted on running setup.exe - possibly because they think Windows admins are unable to install software without setup.exe ;-)

BTW. copying the files instead of setup.exe makes it easier installing an agent via script

cheers, Wolfgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.