Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1

Posted Feb 05, 2020 02:47 PM
    Hello,
    We've had to postpone our update for various reasons, however, we are now ready to go.  It was recommended by support to look at using ZDU for our update scenario as we have a completely separate development environment from production.
    I've been doing some research on this, and it seems like this might be more work than doing the traditional update process which takes a couple of hours to complete (we do get approvals for outage windows).
    Just wondering if anyone has had success doing the update using ZDU or if the traditional update with scheduled downtime was the best approach. 

Thanks!
    Tina

• 2.  RE: Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 06, 2020 05:30 AM
    Hi Tina,
    we also updated from 11.2.8 to 12.3.1 end of last year and everyone I talked with gave me the advice to do it the "old way". ZDU may work but it can be used more for minor updates like hotfixes and not for major updates. ​We did it the old way and it was very successful. A good advice is to use the compatibility checker and to do the tasks, mentioned in the output. If you use RA agents (WEB, FTP, …) may be there are some adjustments needed (migration tool) and some other minor issues like post conditions and so on.

Kind regards
    Hartwig

------------------------------
    Systemadministrator
    VW Financial Services Digital Solutions GmbH

• 3.  RE: Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1

Posted Feb 11, 2020 10:25 AM
    Hi Hartwig,
    Thanks for the feedback on this!
    I'm still feeling a bit on the fence with which approach we should take.  The old copy/paste binaries did work well for us, and as this is a version update I am leaning towards still following that process.
    I've gone over the compatibility matrix and release notes, and so far, nothing major which will be too impactful for us.  I do like the looks of CAPKI but we may look at that at a later time and test it out fully in our Development environment.
    For updating the Agents, were you able to use the CAU after the update to update the Agents, or did you still have to do that the old way?
    Thanks again for your info!
    Tina

• 4.  RE: Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1

Posted Feb 12, 2020 04:29 AM
    Hi Tina,
    we have also to update our agents. Apart from the webagents all other agents are still on V11 and yes, we plan to use the CAU. We updated all links to the servicemanager therefor. CAPKI ist still another Todo. But very helpful for us was the upgrade checker script. I do not mean the compatibility matrix. The script can be find on the marketplace:
    https://marketplace.automic.com/marketplace/browse/upgrade-checker

It scans all jobs and the output is a list with points that might be a problem or not working well in V12. ​

Kind regards
    Hartwig

Systemadministrator
    VW Financial Services Digital Solutions GmbH

• 5.  RE: Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1

Posted Feb 12, 2020 08:41 AM
    Hi

my experiences:

last year we installed SP (upgrade from V11.2.3 to V11.2.9) via ZDU that rumbled quite a lot (PWP crashed, etc)
    prior to daylight saving changes we installed V11.2.10.HF3 - that went fine.

end of last year we upgraded from V11.2.10 to 12.3.GA the old way without any bigger issues.

Out of experience and with info from some other UC4 Dinosaurs we do:

ZDU for SM installation (minor upgrades)
    manual installation for major upgrades

means: as long as you are on V11.2 I would not do a major upgrade with ZDU.

cheers, Wolfgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 6.  RE: Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1

Posted Feb 20, 2020 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the details!
    The plan is to get our dev environment updated in a few weeks and then we'll have 3-4 weeks of testing and then updating production.
    I would have really liked to try out the ZDU for this update, but I think we'll be going the old way.

• 7.  RE: Upgrade from 11.2.6 to 12.3.1

Posted Feb 20, 2020 11:12 AM
    Thanks again!
    I ran the tool and there are a few minor adjustments we have to make, but nothing major.