Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  AWI update to newer version

Posted Jul 08, 2020 12:55 PM
    Hi team,

We are running AWI 12.1.3 on Automation Engine version 12.1.3. Now because of some bugs i tried updating to AWI 12.1.8. I copied the awi.war file in the webapps directory of tomcat and restarted the tomcat. But after restarting the AWI version is still the old one. Am I missing something or doing something wrong. 

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Kumar

• 2.  RE: AWI update to newer version
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 08, 2020 02:33 PM
    Edited by KumarRahul605332 Jul 09, 2020 03:46 AM
    I've never had that problem.  But I've always done the following on our windows installation;
      (1) back up the old config file. (...\webapps\awi\config\uc4config.xml)
      (2) delete the old war file (tomcat deletes the app)
      (3) copy in the new war file (tomcat re-creates the app)
      (4) re-install the config file

I am not a tomcat expert, so I didn't really know what I was doing when I started using this procedure.  But it always works for me.  Maybe deleting the app first is necessary to clear out something it holds onto?

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 3.  RE: AWI update to newer version

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 09, 2020 01:12 AM
    I've had to do hundreds of installs up to now, and never ran into that - if the version hasn't changed in the AWI log and the "about", I would re-deploy it (following the steps Pete lays out) and if it still shows with the wrong version, re-download the war file just to confirm. As a secondary test, I'd install it side-by-side (rename the war file) and see if the logs/about show differently.

• 4.  RE: AWI update to newer version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 03:51 AM
    Thanks a ton the steps provided by you worked. Earlier I was overwriting the awi.war file and for some reason it wasnt working.

I have another small query. I intend to increase the memory allocated to tomcat. We have tomcat running on linux. So i went to the bin directory and changed the Xmx value in  setenv.sh to 4096M from 2048M earlier. This is how it looks now.
    export CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512M -Xmx4096M"
    Do you think its done?

• 5.  RE: AWI update to newer version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 04:11 AM
    > export CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512M -Xmx4096M"
    > Do you think its done?

To know for sure that a Linux process picked up command line arguments from some file, check what options the process actually runs with in your environment.

ps -ef | grep tomcat

Also, as for your original post: While dropping .war files in the webapps directory works, the recommended way is to use the /manager webapp to cleanly undeploy the old version, then deploy the new version.

Best regards.

• 6.  RE: AWI update to newer version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 04:23 AM
    > Maybe deleting the app first is necessary to clear out something it holds onto?

While we did overwrite the war file with no ill effects occasionally, yes, a clean undeploy and redeploy is the Tomcat way. But using the /manager web app.

What I was actually meaning to say though: I wonder if web browser cache may play any part in this. Is the AWI version screen, or other parts of it, possibly cached locally in the browser for a short time? Don't think so, but impossible it is not ...

• 7.  RE: AWI update to newer version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 09:44 AM
    Not sure what the issue was. After overwriting the file and restarting the tomcat I was still seeing the older version of AWI. And I was still seeing the same bug because of which I wanted to update to the newer version. Could it be a permission issue? I was running the tomcat with root instead of the owner.

• 8.  RE: AWI update to newer version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 09:56 AM
    > Could it be a permission issue?

That should be easily answerable, judging by the permissions on the file and what user you tried to overwrite it with. Apart from plain file permissions, no, there are no other permissions involved in this.

N.b. running Tomcat as root is a potential security risk; the usual use case for Tomcat is to serve only unprivileged tcp ports (> 1024) and therefore it can safely run as a regular user, such as "tomcat".