Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files

Posted Jul 02, 2019 03:00 PM
    ​On this windows server, I am running 12.2.0 Windows agent.  in the temp directory, there are a number of the 8.3 type files that are what I believe are jobs executions detail information.  On other servers, I don't see these files hanging around on other Windows servers.  So where are these files still on this one server?

I would also add that the job has the store to database option checked on this Windows server.  Most jobs to have this optioned checked, so I can't believe that this is the reason why the 8dot3 files are still on the agent server.

• 2.  RE: Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 02, 2019 04:06 PM
    There is a restriction on how large of a report can be accepted into the database.  When the report exceeds that limit, it is left in the temp directory.   So it depends upon the size of the particular run.  The other servers might only be generating small reports that don't exceed this restriction?

• 3.  RE: Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files

Posted Jul 03, 2019 11:55 AM
    ​Thanks for the reply.  Do you have any idea what that size limitation is?

• 4.  RE: Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files

Posted Jul 03, 2019 12:17 PM
    The restriction is a configurable setting, so each datacenter can be different.  You want to look up MAX_REPORT_SIZE inside of UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT under client 0.    Suggest you look it up in the online help as well.

This setting is an integer value representing the number of "blocks" that will be allowed.  You then set the REPORT_BLKSIZE variable to control how many bytes can be stored in each block.  

This product is not meant to be used as a report repository.  Doing so could hurt its performance in its more important duties.  So being as restrictive as your business will allow is preferable.

• 5.  RE: Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files

Posted Jul 04, 2019 08:38 AM
    Also be aware that we recently discovered that MAX_REPORT_SIZE silently governs​ other things as well. One of them is the maximum input file size accepted for the XML script functions. This is "by design", so be extra watchful when changing MAX_REPORT_SIZE. One can notice failures to process XML files fully due to this setting usually by characteristic messages like: "Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred".

And I fully second what Pete said about not being a report repository. The reports are stored line by line, and can accumulate quickly for jobs running several times a day and/or when a program invoked via Automic is noisy. I suggest limiting the stdout of your programs as much as possible.

The report files are usually called ".TXT" and you can also put those somewhere else, it's configurable in the .ini flle. There's also .sts files, which are status files for file transfers. There was a bug where the agent would leave those files behind. I think that'll be fixed in 12.3, but I can't tell for sure because the ticket system does not show me those details at present time.

• 6.  RE: Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files

Posted Jul 05, 2019 12:45 PM
    ​Thank you Carsten for that additional information.  So this would impact also the allowed maximum size of an object that I want to import?

I agree about not being a report repository.  Others want the ease of having one place to at the logs when there are issues. It is what it is.

• 7.  RE: Agent XXXXXXXX.TXT files

Posted Jul 08, 2019 10:29 AM
    > ​So this would impact also the allowed maximum size of an object that I want to import?

I don't think so, but not 100% certain, sorry. You'd have to give it a try.

Best,
    Carsten