Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

• 1.  UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 13, 2021 08:26 AM
    Hi,

the variable object UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD contains information about all previous DB reorg runs. Each time 1 additional entry. But this fills up unnecessarily the log of DB.Unload. Some weeks ago I have checked a system with over 80.000 entries in the vara - you can imagine the size of the daily log file :-(

How are you dealing with this? Periodically deleting all the entries from this vara? Use of a java tool to remove the lines?

regards,
    Peter

------------------------------
    Capture Europe

• 2.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 14, 2021 03:48 AM
    Hi @Peter Grundler,

We have the same "issue". The thing is that UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD is a system variable and it must NOT be edited/changed.
    Last month I had a support case related to this and the answer I received was this:
    "The recommendation would be to file an enhancement request to improve the logging/functionality of the UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD."

/Keld.

• 3.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 15, 2021 12:00 PM
    Edited by Peter Grundler Jun 17, 2021 12:27 AM

• 4.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 16, 2021 05:09 AM
    Hi @Peter Grundler.

So true....

/Keld.​

• 5.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 14, 2021 12:45 PM
    I was told recently by a Broadcom employee during a system checkup that it can be cleaned up.

Their exact words: "can be reorganized from time to time (just delete the whole content, don't leave any row)".  I have not cleaned up ours as we only have about 600 rows currently.

• 6.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 14, 2021 02:38 PM
    Peter - 80,000 entries is impressive!

I had 15,000. I tried to bulk delete them and my AWI session has been hung for 15 minutes! 
    So bulk delete at your peril.
    Perhaps its best to delete the whole variable and recreate it?

• 7.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 15, 2021 12:01 PM
    Hi Tony,

yes - this high number is the result of daily runs for multiple clients ...

kind regards,
    Peter

Capture Europe

• 8.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 15, 2021 12:03 PM
    I spotted this problem some time ago, and experimented with cleaning out just the older entries from the VARA. but doing a partial-clean caused the utility to fail, so I put them all back.

From what I'm reading in this thread, the solution seems to be to empty the variable completely!  Are there no concerns/issues with doing this?

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 9.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 15, 2021 01:25 PM
    Hi Pete,

I have deleted all the entries and also 4 customers did it. No side effects ... :-)

best regards,
    Peter

Capture Europe

• 10.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 17, 2021 02:57 AM
    Hi @Peter Grundler,

Do you export the vara, delete the entries and imports the vara back into the client?

/Keld.

• 11.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 15, 2021 02:20 PM
    Agreed, I left a few entries in my original and the next ran failed also, so empty completely, or delete and recreate.

• 12.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 16, 2021 09:25 AM

Hi,

We are running approx. 120 clients in our UC4 environment. The UC4.Unload Utility (–BReorg) is running per Client daily. So, we get more than 800 new rows in UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD per week.

We run a clean-up script to get rid of all entries in the beginning of the daily UC4 Reorg Workflow (pls. find it at the bottom). This worked fine for many years. However, after updating to version 12.3 last October the script fails:

09/10/2020 13:01:54 U00012112 Task '.UC4DB.UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD.CLEANUP.JOB' (RunID '1604093812') terminated with script error.
    09/10/2020 13:01:54 U00003710 Variable 'UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD' may not be referenced.​

I opened a ticket with Braodcom Support, the final answer after a longer ticket ping-pong was:
    "The observed behavior is by design and not a bug."

So, it's always a question of your own position and perception…

Cheers, Josef

:s &hnd# = prep_process_var(UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD)
    :process &hnd#
    : s &key# = get_process_line(&hnd#,1)
    : delete_var "UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD", "&key#"
    :endprocess​

• 13.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jun 17, 2021 01:49 AM
    Performing a manual clear of the VARA contents has been proven to work here too.  Thanks!

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 14.  RE: UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD growing

Posted Jul 05, 2021 03:23 PM
    Hi,

Suggestion :

Check the variable UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD attributes to see if you can set it to be used from other clients. If you are a bit adventurous, use an SQL statement to change the value of the share flag in the variable object definition table to the proper value (table OH, OH_Share value) ...

Then a simple :DELETE_VAR UC_UTILITY_DB_UNLOAD command should cleanup the whole variable.

Regards.
    Alain