Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  ONE Automation Scripting

Posted Oct 10, 2019 09:25 AM
    Hi guys, I'm finding material about OneAutomation scripting; can you help me about it?
    Tx 
    Daniele

------------------------------
    Daniele

• 2.  RE: ONE Automation Scripting
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 10, 2019 10:45 AM
    Hi Daniele,
    Did you try the online documentation?

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.2/DOCU/12.2/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#Script/Reference.htm%3FTocPath%3DReference%7CAutomation%2520Engine%2520Script%2520Reference%7C_____0

Best regards,
    Thierry

Banque de Luxembourg

• 3.  RE: ONE Automation Scripting

Posted Oct 14, 2019 09:19 AM
    Edited by Frank Muffke Oct 14, 2019 09:19 AM
    Hi

in good old times there was a training called Automic Script - possibly this still exists.
    It was worth attending the class (1 week)

KR
    Wolfgang

I know I do really know it!

• 4.  RE: ONE Automation Scripting

Posted Oct 14, 2019 10:31 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Oct 14, 2019 10:31 AM
    ​Still does ...

https://www.qskills.de/qs/workshops/automic/sm222caautomicworkloadautomationscript1

... but apparently only in Germany and, worse, exclusively in German.

Might call them up though (i.e. the Automic contact on that page who needs to for be called for QSkills bookings). They might be able to organize something in English or refer to a local partner.

Also, the inofficial lesson zero in the Automic Scripting 101 is free:

Only use Automic Script when you really need to interface with Automic. I don't mean "do things in Automic", I mean "interface with". Like doing things in reports or with RunIDs. For everything else, use an external language such as Shell, Powershell, Python, Perl, Ruby, heck, even Visual Basic or Whitespace. All of these (except possibly VB) will decrease your degree of vendor lock-In and, in my own humble opinion, also amount of frustration (except possibly Perl ;).

• 5.  RE: ONE Automation Scripting

Posted Oct 14, 2019 10:44 AM
    Fully agree.

Experience after almost 9 Yeas with Uc4/Automic/CA/Broadcom/....

You can do a lot with automic Script, thats really cool - even code a Scissors-Stone-Paper-Game - BUT:

Script commands, Results, Behavior, Support, Parameters may change with every Service Pack.

cheers, Wolfgang

• 6.  RE: ONE Automation Scripting

Posted Oct 14, 2019 10:45 AM
    Edited by Frank Muffke Oct 14, 2019 10:45 AM
    @Carsten: 
    When did you attend your last scripting class, maybe its time for a refresher workshop :-)
    mine was 2011.... :-)

• 7.  RE: ONE Automation Scripting

Posted Oct 14, 2019 10:51 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Oct 14, 2019 10:51 AM

@Frank Muffke

I only attended one scripting class. One of our ​departments organized one in-house in 2017. There were two alreday paid-for spots, so they kindly asked if we want to join in.

I must admit I have forgotten many things about it (hey, sometimes forgetting is hard work!). When I voiced some disbelief about some of the language constructs like :PREP_PROCESS_FILE, and examples such as convoluted usages of :PSET, the trainer told me that AutomicScript was designed to be a lot like the early BASIC interpretters, and that given this, it actually fairs very well.

We ultimately agreed to disagree.

:)