Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Conected File EVNT

Posted Aug 09, 2019 02:09 PM
    I thought that if I inserted a file EVNT into a workflow at the beginning and connected it to the rest of the workflow then when the EVNT processed and returned OK it would kick of the remaining jobs in the workflow. That doesn't seem to be how it works though. My EVNT is processing and ending OK but none of the other jobs in the workflow are executing. I don't have anything on the event process page except printing a variable to the report. Is there a way to make it run through the rest of the workflow when the file in the file event is found?

• 2.  RE: Conected File EVNT

Posted Aug 09, 2019 02:41 PM
    When the EVNT task completes and the next task fails to launch, what does its Details screen say?  It should have a "Status" description that should help diagnose why it isn't launching.

------------------------------
    Pete (AE V11.2)

• 3.  RE: Conected File EVNT

Posted Aug 09, 2019 03:48 PM
    The other tasks in the workflow have a status of "Waiting for predecessor" while the EVNT task runs every 10 minutes and ends with a status of "ENDED_OK - ended normally"

• 4.  RE: Conected File EVNT

Posted Aug 09, 2019 04:09 PM
    So your EVNT task is continuing to run, in which case it is appropriate for the successors to continue waiting.   You need to figure out why the EVNT is continuing to run.  Could it be that the file has not arrived yet in which case this behavior is desirable?  Could it be that the EVNT is mis-coded so it is not looking for the correct file?  Could it be finding the file, but is programmed in such a way that it thinks you want it to keep checking anyway?

We don't use EVNT tasks for this sort of behavior.  I favor using a "CHECK FILE" pre-condition rule on the task that needs to wait for the file.

Pete (AE V11.2)

• 5.  RE: Conected File EVNT

Posted Aug 09, 2019 04:11 PM
    Another possibility for failure is, the EVNT could be coded correctly, but lack the authority to see the folder where the file lives.

Pete (AE V11.2)