Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

• 1.  AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 02, 2020 07:55 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 02, 2020 01:28 PM
    When I open many windows or tabs in Automic Web Interface (12.3.2 HF3), I often see a blank page with the following error message:

Error in Application, see log for details.

Sometimes clearing the cookies and reloading the page resolves the problem. Other times, I have to quit and re-launch the browser.

When the problem happens, it usually impacts all other open AWI windows or tabs in that browser. It does not appear to affect AWI sessions open in other browsers. I surmise that the problem is related to the browser cookies used to maintain the AWI session.

Has anyone else seen this?

• 2.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 02, 2020 08:26 AM
    Never had this, and all my colleagues mock me for my innate inability to close any tabs :(

How many Automic tabs are we talking here, ball park figure? Does it happen in different browsers? Anything in the browser's developer tools, Cookie errors or console errors maybe?

Regards,
    Carsten

• 3.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 02, 2020 01:32 PM
    It usually happens when opening lots of tabs at once. I have a theory that it happens due to contention between multiple open tabs/windows in establishing/updating the session cookies. I've seen the problem in IE, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. I have not seen any other errors, but I haven't looked too deeply. Where would you recommend I start?

• 4.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 06, 2020 09:37 AM
    > Where would you recommend I start?

As this seems to be the most promising avenue at this time: with the input from the others about boosting Tomcat memory :D

• 5.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 06, 2020 09:39 AM
    We run this by the way in "production":

-Xms2G -Xmx16G (taken from the environment, actual launch parameter probably has a space in it).

So far no complaints.

• 6.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 02, 2020 09:22 AM
    I've had this happen a few times in our test environment, usually coinciding with AWI slowing down to the point of uselessness. I eventually realized that when we updated Tomcat, we had never updated the maximum memory pool size from the default 256MB (which doesn't go very far).

Haven't seen it sense, but it hasn't been very long and I would imagine you would have many angry people if that was the issue.

• 7.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 02, 2020 01:23 PM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jan 28, 2022 04:41 AM
    When you refer to the Tomcat maximum memory pool size, do you mean the -Xmx option on the Java command line?
    ​​

• 8.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 02, 2020 02:08 PM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs Jul 02, 2020 02:08 PM
    I had to increase our tomcat memory ceiling just yesterday.  Ours is on windows.  I run tomcatw.exe to access its startup settings, went to the Java tab, and increased the "Maximum memory pool" setting.  Tomcat reboot was required for it to take effect.

We are getting higher user activity than originally anticipated, so I just keep bumping this up.  Yesterday tomcat exceeded the ceiling and started consuming 95% of the machine's CPU, causing a denial of service. (nothing like the symptoms described in this conversation)

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA
    ------------------------------

• 9.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 03, 2020 02:30 AM

Hi Michael,

i think he means „-XX:MaxPermSize" for permanet generation not the general heap space parameter „-Xmx".

I've a similar problem when I open a lot of tabs for the same client and i am currently try to increase the size for permanent generation

and I am observe if that works.

• 10.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jul 21, 2020 04:12 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Jul 21, 2020 04:16 AM
    The problem has now been resolved. I believe we worked around this problem and the separate Kerberos login is not available problem by increasing the amount of memory available to the AWI. Here are the memory options we are using on the Java command line:

-Xms512m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=8192M

I hope this helps others who may encounter this problem. Thanks to Kyle & Christian for their suggestions.

• 11.  RE: AWI: Error in Application, see log for details.

Posted Jan 28, 2022 04:40 AM
    This error continues to happen intermittently, usually when opening several browser windows/tabs for the same AWI session. The problem often happens when control-clicking on a link in the AWI to open an item in a new browser tab. The error message appears in the new tab, and sometimes the other tabs associated with the same session also return the error if refreshed.

The only fix I've found is to delete the cookies associated with the AWI session:
    __VCAP_ID__
    JSESSIONID
    login-cookie

Of course, this means losing any unsaved work in open windows/tabs associated with the session.

It would be nice to be able to find a permanent fix for this problem.