Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Auto change of Queue

• 1.  Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 12, 2021 02:24 PM
    Hi Team,

We do have a scenario of restricting the Max Slots of Queue.

Scenario: JobA is my Common Job which is running from different chains(B,C) but we do have a Scenario where the Queue limit needs to restricted to Max Slots of 3 for the common JobA which runs in Chain B but Chain C should have its Own Slots(Which are Unlimited) for the Common JobA.

Can we Know on how we can achieve this?

While we make a try by using Modifying System option then the Queue Slots are becoming as 3 for the JobA even if it runs from Chain C(which needs to have Unlimited Slots) .

• 2.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 13, 2021 03:58 AM
    Edited by Shani Kushwaha Oct 13, 2021 05:13 AM
    Hi Pavan

The only option I know of is that you will need to duplicate the common job and run it on the same queue as Chain C. 
    I am following the post for suggestions.

------------------------------
    Thanks
    ShaniK
    Automic - HCL

• 3.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 13, 2021 07:01 AM
    If I understand your scenario correctly, use the script function 'PUT_ATT' on the PreProcess tab of the job to set the queue based on the workflow it is running in.

Something like the following should work and can be enhanced depending on your needs.

It checks the parent workflow name and if it is the B name, it inserts the queue name that is limited to 3 else it will use the queue C which is unlimited.

:IF &$PROCESSOR# = 'workflow B Name'
    : PUT_ATT QUEUE = 'queue B'
    :ELSE
    : PUT_ATT QUEUE = 'queue C'
    :ENDIF

• 4.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 01:03 PM
    Another option to consider is the "Queue of Child Tasks" feature under the Attributes of ChainB and ChainC.  If you set this to "Inherit from Queue", then JobA will automatically be directed to the same queue that the Chain runs in.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 5.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 01:15 PM
    Hi All,

Sorry, for the Confusion if I posted it in Wrong Way.

My Question is:

I am having a Common Job with name as JobA where it is allocated with a Queue name as XYZ which is having a Max Slots of 200.

1)I am using this JobA in 2 different chains Known as B and C. Where on top of my B chain I would like to pass Max slots of 3 to this JobA it means even if I am having like 20 Jobs(with same JObA)  in same B chain then that particular Queue XYZ needs to run only 3 jobs in that chain it means rest of the 17 Jobs Should waiti for Queue Slot because I am passing the Max Slot of Queue as 3.

The above max slots one Should not cause any issue to my same JobA which is running in chain C to have the XYZ Queue limit Set over to 200.

Please let me know if I didn't elaborate the issue in proper Way.

• 6.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 01:25 PM
    I assume by "chains" you mean workflow/jobplan/process flow.

The issue by changing the max queue slots if both workflows run at the same time, the queue count at any moment will impact both workflows.

Maybe setting it up with separate queues with a max slot of 3 and the other with 20 and just run the workflow using either the method I mentioned or the easier method that Pete mentioned.

Another option would be to use a sync object to control how many objects are running at one time, but the setup is a little more involved.

• 7.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 01:54 PM

I like the sync control option as well.  You can do some clever stuff with it.

However the term 'chain' suggests he may be referencing the Appworx product, and not Automic Workload Automation?

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 8.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 02:00 PM
    Thanks Pete,Jared for your responses on it.

I am referring Automic Workload Automation(Which I mean Workflow).

If possible could you please let me know on how to do sync control option(any Document related to it also helpful for me)

Appreciate your Help on it.

• 9.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 03:16 PM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs Oct 14, 2021 03:18 PM

I do not recommend sync for your use case; https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/ALL/components/DOCU/12.3/Automic%20Automation%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Objects/obj_Sync.htm?TocPath=Using%257CDesigning%257CObject-Specific%2520Properties%257CSync%2520(SYNC)%257C_____0

As I understand it, all that you want to do is to have JobA run with 3 slots from ChainB, and unlimited slots from ChainC, and you would like to accomplish this with two different queues. 

Jared and I have already posted simple solutions to accomplish this. 

I've also noticed that workflow task precondition rules have a "change queue" action available which provides another very simple solution.

Another solution is to clone JobA so that you have two of them; JobA.3 and JobA.unlimited.  But then you would have two different sets of run history which may or may not be desirable.

Will ChainB and ChainC ever run at the same time, and if so, does this create another problem for JobA?

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 10.  RE: Auto change of Queue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 04:10 PM
    Thanks Pete.