Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  AWA (AE, DB & WebInterface) Windows Servers Migration to New Hardware

Posted Feb 20, 2020 06:01 PM
    Hello,

We are running on AWA version 12.2 on Windows / SQL Server DB. We are planning to migrate the AE, DB and WebInterface servers to a different Hardware using VM copy. I need help to understand what will be the implication of Automic Licenses Installed? 

Do I need to install new licenses after the VM copy? If so, what is the procedure?
    Are there any other aspects I need to consider for this migration procedure?

I would really appreciate advise on this. 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AWA (AE, DB & WebInterface) Windows Servers Migration to New Hardware
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 21, 2020 04:43 AM
    Edited by Diane Craddock Feb 24, 2020 09:11 AM
    Hello.

I don't know your licensing, I know Automic has made many contracts with individual clauses. And I am also not a lawyer.

But with the regular Automic licenses (engine licenses and "deployment nodes") I don't see any issue migrating them from one machine to another as ​long as you don't operate the software for two licenses at once. So as long as you don't start two engines with one license, or too many agents for your licenses, you should be good.

HOWEVER Automic does count, for some customers, past license usage. So if you are one of the customers needing to run the "license reporting tool", and you ran an engine on machine #1 in January, and the engine on machine #2 in February, but never at the same time, I believe there is a small risk they might still tell you that you violated your licensing terms. But at least our licensing does not stipulate this kind of historic count, so if your licensing is like ours, and if they were to claim a violation, you'd probably be in a good position to dispute such claim.

However, this is all theoretical and based on many "if" and "what". So my actual recommendation is this: contact your key account manager ahead of time and get him to get you an "official" answer for your specific licensing cincumstances.

Br,
    Carsten
    ​​

------------------------------
    These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: AWA (AE, DB & WebInterface) Windows Servers Migration to New Hardware

Posted Feb 21, 2020 06:04 PM
    Hi Carsten,

Thank you so much for quick response and detailed explanation. We are operating with one license and the I plan to migrate having Source systems down when Target is brought up. This way we are not running two engines with one license at a given time.

I did contacted Broadcom via a ticket and got confirmation that there will be no issues with licencing.

Once again, thank you for valuable inputs. 

• 4.  RE: AWA (AE, DB & WebInterface) Windows Servers Migration to New Hardware

Posted Feb 24, 2020 04:52 AM
    ​Hi,

You're very welcome.

Best,
    Carsten