Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Many 'REST API' connections listed for the same user

Posted Jan 26, 2022 10:35 AM
    We've recently noticed that one particular user often has many REST API connections listed in the AWI. The user says he's not accessing the REST API directly, so we assume all of these connections are being initiated by the user's AWI sessions.

We would like to learn more about the connections listed in the Connections view of the Administration perspective. It was my understanding that REST API calls did not involve the establishment and maintenance of persistent sessions. Does this list include sessions that are no longer active? What circumstances could lead to a single user's having tens of REST API connections listed?

• 2.  RE: Many 'REST API' connections listed for the same user

Posted Jan 26, 2022 11:19 AM
    I've observed that the action of opening a monitor starts a RESTAPI connection for my AWI session.  However I've never seen it open more than one of these connections per user.  We are on a windows installation.

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Many 'REST API' connections listed for the same user

Posted Jan 27, 2022 04:53 AM
    Hi,
    What I observed concerning REST API Connections of AWI Users is, that such a connection is opened for different actions in AWI, such as "Search", "Workflow Monitor" – open or refresh, etc.
    I've never seen more than one REST API Connection per user (and client).

However, it seems even for a User logged out from AWI the REST API Connections are not closed or cleaned-up. They are still present:

The first User – marked with the green box – is logged in. It has the REST API and the Automic Web Interface connections.
    But all the other User in the screenshot are currently not logged in, but still have REAT API connection. I assume this are leftovers from previous sessions.
    It is possible to get rid of it with the "Disconnect User" option. Imho this is only a workaround and there should be a fix.

Do you see a similar behavior?
    Thanks. KR, Josef

• 4.  RE: Many 'REST API' connections listed for the same user

Posted Jan 27, 2022 09:25 PM
    Hi,

If a user doesn't logout but just kills the browser it will leave the old REST API connections and they will accumulate till the process is recycled.

Otherwise, we have only seen one REST API connection per client.

Regrads
    Pothen

• 5.  RE: Many 'REST API' connections listed for the same user

Posted Jan 28, 2022 04:17 AM
    I believe I have determined what was causing the accumulation of REST API sessions. The user was accessing the AWI from a web browser running in a virtual machine. When he had finished work for the day, he simply closed the session to the VM. After a while with no activity, the VM quit running apps and logged the user out. Each time this happened, a defunct REST API session was left in the Connections list. Over the course of several weeks, the number grew to more than 20.

There is one piece of evidence that might contradict the above theory. The Last seen date & time was identical for all of the REST API connections for this user. Perhaps this is normal, and the field shows the last time that the user was seen on the system at all, or the last time the user connected using the REST API. If however the Last seen field is meant to show the date any time that the particular connection was last active, my above explanation for the accumulated connections cannot be correct.

Assuming though that my understanding is correct, the way REST API sessions persist in the Connections list seems suboptimal. I can see the value in showing transient user sessions for a short time after they have been closed, but I do not see the value in showing tens of long-defunct connections from the same user.

My suggestion: duplicate REST API sessions for the same user should be automatically pruned after a day or two. Leave one in the list, but remove all the others. Can anyone point out reasons why my idea would not work, or why the existing behavior is preferable? If not, I will submit the proposal to the Ideas page.

Thanks to all who provided information about how the Connections list works.

• 6.  RE: Many 'REST API' connections listed for the same user

Posted Jan 28, 2022 08:49 AM
    This Last seen date & time is updated for all connections (including the defunct) of a client as soon as we open the monitor.

I have also seen the only active REST API connection close after some time (less than 5 mins) of say closing a job report from Monitoring. This is a client with one active SCHED object with two JOBS. May not see on clients with many active tasks.

All this is for v21.