Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Service Manager service doesn't start

• 1.  Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 10:35 AM
    ​Hello,

I am trying to configure Windows Agent as a service but the service will not start.
    Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Version 11.2.1
    Windows 10

- Installed Windows Agent and Service Manager

- Executed command UCYBSMGR.EXE -install Phrase -iPath UCYBSMgr.ini

- Configured .ini file in Agent\windows\bin directory

-Configured smd file with agent location

Event Log - The UC4.ServiceManager [UCYBSMgr.ini] service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
    SMGR log file is not created.
    The agent starts fine when .exe is started.

I saw someone had a similair issue back in 2017 but I didn't see a resolution.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 10:56 AM
    Edited by Frank Muffke Nov 15, 2019 10:57 AM
    Hi

The MS C++ redist pack is installed in correct version?

The Win user does have the necessary 6 privileges & rights (as shown in win agent installation docu) ?

Any antivirus preventing the install of the service?

SMGR log file is not created
    => this will of course not being created because its only created when SMGR service is started.

cheers, Wolfgang

------------------------------
    Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 3.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 12:45 PM
    ​The MS C++ redist pack is installed in correct version?
    There are several versions installed but the recommended version is 10, which I installed form the image.

The Win user does have the necessary 6 privileges & rights (as shown in win agent installation docu) ?
    We have logon=0 set on the agent. The logon is an admin on the machine.

Any antivirus preventing the install of the service?
    Nothing that I can see.

• 4.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 02:24 PM
    I was able to get the service started by modifying the path in the following command but it does not start the agent I have defined in the smd file and there s no log file.
    UCYBSMGR.EXE -install Phrase -iPath UCYBSMgr.ini

I am trying to move the agent from a windows 7 box to windows 10 so I'm using the same smd file.

There is a reference to logon which has the logon id and an encrypted password. I checked our other windows agents and they use the same password but they each have a different encrypted password in the smd file. Where is this encrypted password generated?

• 5.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 02:51 PM
    ​I figured out the password encryption part by using the encryption tool but the service manager will still not start the agent and doesn't produce a log file.

• 6.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 03:07 PM
    When looking at the steps you took to install, they are out of order.  Not sure if that is exactly what you did but here are the steps I would do.  Sometimes starting from scratch is easier than trying to figure out what is wrong.

1. Open Computer Management, Services.  Look for a service starting with UC4.  If it exists (it may not based on your notes), stop it.  Open the properites, in General tab, copy the exact service name
    2. Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    3. Run sc delete <service name>

Now you have a clean slate.

1. Run the windows agent setup.exe using the default folder.  It will overwrite existing ini file so you will need to edit it.  I use my server name in Global - name=<server>
    The name needs to be consistent throughout your ini files, I use the server name for all my agents

2. Run the service manager setup.exe.  Again it will overwite existing.
    In the UCYBSMgr.ini file make sure you have 
    deffile=c:\Automic\ServiceManager\bin\UC4.smd  (here I use the exact path instead of the *Own\etc.)
    cmdfile=c:\Automic\ServiceManager\bin\UC4.smc
    In the UC4.smd file
    DEFINE <name>;*OWN\..\..\Agents\Windows\bin\UCXJWX6.exe;*OWN\..\..\Agents\Windows\bin\
    Make sure all other define statements are commented out using ! at beginning of the line

3. I would install the service manager dialog.  Same process with the setup.exe
    Edit the UCYBSMDi.ini file.  I set Host01=<name>

4. Open Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    Change directory to \Automic\ServiceManager\bin
    run UCYBSMGR.EXE -install <Phrase> -iPath UCYBSMgr.ini
    A note about Phrase.  Phrase is what you are calling the service.  On my servers I replace <Phrase> with AutomicDev or AutomicProd

5.  Open the service manager dialog and your agent should be listed and hopefully running

Hope this helps.

Tim

Developer
    State of Colorado

• 7.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Nov 15, 2019 03:41 PM
    ​Tim,

When you run the following command
    UCYBSMGR.EXE -install <Phrase> -iPath UCYBSMgr.ini

Do you use this exact command or do you replace path with the actual path?

• 8.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 15, 2019 04:21 PM
    The method I have used for installing ServiceManager on Windows servers was to use a cmd window to navigate to the folder where ucybsmgr has been installed, and issued this command;

ucybsmgr -install <Phrase>

By virtue of having navigated to the appropriate folder first, I did not have to specify the path to the ini.

Pete

• 9.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Feb 29, 2020 08:33 AM
    Hi, I am encountering an issue where is Service Manager installs, and shows under Windows Services. But does not kick off the agent service. I have to manually start the service. When I try through AWI, Administration page, I receive this message "Service '' does not exists.

DevOps Engineer
    ULLICO

• 10.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Mar 01, 2020 04:13 PM
    Hi, 
    Just checking, did you enable it for autostart ? 
    Would you mind sharing the *.smd/ *.smc files to see what you have configured there? 

As for the starting the agent via Administration perspective in AWI it would seem as the Agent is not linked with the Service Manager. In client 0 open the agent object and take a look if the configuration of the Service Manager has been discovered correctly there. 

Cheers,
    Marcin

• 11.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Mar 03, 2020 05:10 AM
    Hi

SMGR Logfile would be interesing.

Usually first try if the agent starts if you start it manually
    then use SMGR Dialog or CLI

if that works you can try using AWI...

cheers, Wolfgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 12.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Mar 09, 2020 01:22 PM
    UC4.smc

!AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 WP1
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 WP2
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 WP3
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 WP4
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 WP5
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 JWP
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 CP1
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 CP2
    !AIT 0
    CREATE UC4v12
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 DATABASE-AGENT01
    !AIT 0
    !REATE UC4 DATABASE-SERVICE01

UC4.smd

VAR SRV_STARTPATH;*OWN\..\..\AutomationEngine\bin
    VAR CP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH\UCsrvcp.exe *SRV_STARTPATH\ucsrv.ini -svc%port%
    VAR WP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH\UCsrvwp.exe *SRV_STARTPATH\ucsrv.ini -svc%port%
    VAR JWP_STARTCMD;java -Xrs -Xmx512M -jar ucsrvjp.jar -I*SRV_STARTPATH\ucsrv.ini -svc%port%
    VAR WP_STARTCMD_COLD;*WP_STARTCMD -parm"StartMode=Cold"
    VAR WP_STARTCMD_STOP;*WP_STARTCMD -parm"SystemStop=Yes"
    VAR WP_STARTCMD_COLDSTOP;*WP_STARTCMD -parm"StartMode=Cold;SystemStop=Yes"
    !
    DEFINE UC4 WP1;*WP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH;START1=(Coldstart,*WP_STARTCMD_COLD);START2=(Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_STOP);START3=(Coldstart with Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_COLDSTOP)
    DEFINE UC4 WP2;*WP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH;START1=(Coldstart,*WP_STARTCMD_COLD);START2=(Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_STOP);START3=(Coldstart with Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_COLDSTOP)
    DEFINE UC4 WP3;*WP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH;START1=(Coldstart,*WP_STARTCMD_COLD);START2=(Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_STOP);START3=(Coldstart with Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_COLDSTOP)
    DEFINE UC4 WP4;*WP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH;START1=(Coldstart,*WP_STARTCMD_COLD);START2=(Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_STOP);START3=(Coldstart with Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_COLDSTOP)
    DEFINE UC4 WP5;*WP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH;START1=(Coldstart,*WP_STARTCMD_COLD);START2=(Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_STOP);START3=(Coldstart with Systemstop,*WP_STARTCMD_COLDSTOP)
    DEFINE UC4 JWP;*JWP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH
    DEFINE UC4 CP1;*CP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH
    DEFINE UC4 CP2;*CP_STARTCMD;*SRV_STARTPATH
    DEFINE UC4v12;*OWN\..\..\Agents\Windows\bin\UCXJWX6.exe;*OWN\..\..\Agents\Windows\bin
    DEFINE UC4 DATABASE-AGENT01;java -jar -Xmx256M *OWN\..\..\Agents\sql\bin\ucxjsqlx.jar;*OWN\..\..\Agents\sql\bin
    DEFINE UC4 DATABASE-SERVICE01;java -jar -Xmx256M *OWN\..\..\Agents\sql\bin\ucxjsqlx.jar -service -i*SRV_STARTPATH\ucsrv.ini;*OWN\..\..\Agents\sql\bin

DevOps Engineer
    ULLICO

• 13.  RE: Service Manager service doesn't start

Posted Mar 10, 2020 03:20 AM
    Assuming that the paths in UC4.smd file are ok, then it looks correct. As Wolfgang mentioned, the log from the Service Manager might shed some light on what is happening that the agent will not start.

Cheers,
    Marcin