Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Oracle DB Change with Automic Utilitys

Posted Jul 15, 2019 07:53 AM
    Hello,
    We want to migrate our Oracle 11g database to Oracle 12c and use the Automic utilities for it. I'm not sure about the process and need an info if we can do it that way.

1. Create new 12c database (create tablespaces / create user and authorize)
    2. Load UC_UPD.txt into the 12c database with the DB Load Utility.
    3. Stop all clients and shut down the system
    4. Export all tables with the DB Unload Utility.
    5. Change ODBC Connection String for the database
    6. Load the file export into the 12c database with the DB Load Utility.

Does the EH table really have to be empty?

Do I have to load the UC_UPD.txt for the database structure or something else?

• 2.  RE: Oracle DB Change with Automic Utilitys

Posted Jul 15, 2019 08:01 AM
    Hi.

​This may not be the answer you're looking for, as I can not really assist with the scenario you describe. But we upgraded our 11g to 12c by backing up the old db, then stopping Automic and updating the database in place, with all data included.

Worked surprisingly well.

Br,

• 3.  RE: Oracle DB Change with Automic Utilitys

Posted Jul 16, 2019 05:53 AM
    Ahoi

fully agree with Carsten.

It was the same in our env (ORA11G => ORA12C)

• Backup of AE DB
    • stopped Automic AE (Agents kept running
    • DBAs upgraded ORA
    • started Automic Again
    prior to the upgrade it could be worth checking the ORAPArameters recommended from Automitsch:
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.2/DOCU/12.2/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Admin/admin_Oracle_Parameters.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdministering%2520and%2520Configuring%7CConfiguring%2520CA%2520AWA%7CAutomation%2520Engine%2520Database%7CRecommendations%2520for%2520Oracle%7C_____1

cheers, Wolfgang

------------------------------
    I know I do really know it!
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Oracle DB Change with Automic Utilitys

Posted Jul 16, 2019 05:53 AM
    Hi,
    thanks for the feedback. Our Oracle administrators do not want to upgrade Oracle DB but provide a new DB. That's why I want / need to do it with the Automic Utilities ... Does anyone have any advice?

Br

• 5.  RE: Oracle DB Change with Automic Utilitys
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 16, 2019 07:17 AM
    ​Hi.

As much as I'd like to help, I can't. Never done a full restore with Automic utilities.

Can you convince your Oracle admin to some middle ground: shot down Automic, dump the entire database into raw SQL, then load the entire dump, structure and all, into the new 12c database? That should work (regardless, I would still test loading a dump before calling out the downtime).

Br,