Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Agent License Usage Clarification

Posted Nov 20, 2019 01:03 PM
    ​Hi Team,

Just want to know when the agent license will be removed or inactive or not used stage? After deleting the agent from AWI or I need to uninstall the agent software from the application server. The reason I am asking sometimes app team is asking us to install the agent software way early before activating the application jobs. After health check I usually delete the agent from AWI and reactivate again after starting the service manager. This will save installation time. But not sure whether this is accounted for license usage count. Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
    Prakash S

• 2.  RE: Agent License Usage Clarification

Posted Nov 21, 2019 02:56 AM
    ​Hi.

This is a very good question, and one I have asked before implicitly but still await any sort of usable answer, and I have given up all hope of ever getting one. As such, I would be VERY curious for an answer from Automic, too.

If you have the same contracts we have, you are required to send license usage data to Automic, and generate that data with the license reporting tool. The thing has always been, the data you send with that tool seems to have historic usage data in it, and someone at Automic has analyzed it further according to rules which are a black box to the customer. I can tell from experience that they at least once did include past usage of agents that were uninstalled by the time the figures were reported. Then in the end they used to tell the client whether he is compliant or not. There is literally no way for me to predict by which rules Automic counts the usage, and it has been made worse by the removal of the license overview, because now I can't even see what Automic thinks I am using at any given time. Furthermore, Automic has recently stated it will not send us a compliance statement anymore at all, so all bets are kinda off.

Ultimately, this comes down to a legal question much more than a technical one. I ensure I never use more agents than I am licensed to, and am in the comfortable position to always have a small buffer as well (free cash to Automic, yay!), and feel pretty safe with the legal framework of my country if Automic were ever to tell me that we were not compliant because of past usage overlaps.

But you need to make that judgement for yourself.

Consider the following: an agent not present AWI will probably not be subject to the counting in the license reporting tool. But an agent that starts up once reports it's presence to the engine, and Automic might count that as a used license already (for an unspecified past period as outlined above). Also, legally speaking, the only surefire way is to entirely uninstall the agent and totally remove all of it's files from a machine, since Automic could always make the case that the mere presence of the startable files constitutes an installation. Most EULA (and I think the one we have for Automic, too) say that you need to fully purge the software from a machine, so I would use that as a guideline if you want to be absolutely safe.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Best,
    Carsten

• 3.  RE: Agent License Usage Clarification
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 05:04 AM
    hi @Prakash Subramanian and @Carsten Schmitz​​
    A little insight into how the LRT counts the agents.
    The reason why it appears to have some historic data is that it does not just count the active agents at that point in time.
    It counts the jobs which are executed and groups by agent and that is the agent that is reported as being active.
    One exception is the RA FTP agent which is actually counted by ftp endpoint (which is configured in a connection object). This is the only RA agent that is counted this way.
    If there is no job executed on an agent, it doesn't count.
    If a connection object is not used in any executed job, it also doesn't count.

I hope that clarifies the agent count.

David

------------------------------
    Senior Product Line Manager - Automation
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company

• 4.  RE: Agent License Usage Clarification

Posted Nov 22, 2019 05:43 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Nov 22, 2019 05:44 AM
    ​Hi David,

Thanks, that clarifies it a bit, even though I have some doubts on that metric and how that would hold up legally in light of the actual contracts. But let's not go into legal territory here. Yet to get a deterministic and dependable idea what Broadcom will actually count, we'll need one key bit of information:

What timeframe is looked at by LRT to determine if an agent counts or doesn't count?

The license reporting tool reports back usage for many years, at least when I looked at it quite some time back. So Broadcom must have some sort of cut-off time frame. Can you say what this is - an agent that was running a job within a month? A year?

Thanks!

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.