Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Questions about installing aspware's Omniview product

Posted Jun 15, 2021 04:37 PM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs Jun 15, 2021 04:39 PM
    We plan to install the 30 day free trial of aspware's Omniview soon, and I'm just now beginning to review the install instructions. There seem to be both standalone install instructions and server install instructions. 

I believe we should do a server install in case we decide to keep the product. But I'm still unclear of how the product is going to be installed and what resources it will consume (we are a windows shop). Should we spin up its own server and install it there?  Or will it easily run from an existing app server?  Does it consume CPU on the installed server to use it, or do the users machines provide the CPU?   

Secondary; If someday we want to use it against more than one AE, does that require another install?

We are a pretty small shop and our customer base is probably going to be less than five staff that would then share results from Omniview with others.  Maybe we should be considering the standalone install process onto their machines?

------------------------------
    Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 2.  RE: Questions about installing aspware's Omniview product

Posted Jun 16, 2021 03:53 AM
    Hello Pete,
    some notes on installing OmniView:
    OmniView is a Windows .net runtime program and is executed on the PC on which it is started, i.e. OmniView and its DLL's are loaded into the memory and executed.
    If the start takes place via a network share, the data is transmitted over the network, which can have a short delay depending on the bandwidth.
    Since OmniView runs on the starting PC, no separate server is required.
    If OmniView is to be able to be used independently on a laptop in different environments (home office / office), an installation per laptop with its own license file is advantageous.
    In an office environment, OmniView can be installed locally per PC or once on a network share, depending on the individual requirements.
    A central license file can be used here in both cases.
    If you would like to continue using OmniView after the test period, only the license file is exchanged, a new installation is not necessary.

An installed OmniView can establish several connections to different AE systems (e.g. Test, QA, Prod ...), which are selected via connection names in the login dialog. For each possible connection the server name / IP, port and version are defined as attributes in the program.

You can also contact me directly.

Martin

apsware - OmniView

• 3.  RE: Questions about installing aspware's Omniview product

Posted Jun 17, 2021 01:52 AM
    Thanks Martin. I think we'll be choosing to do a server install.  When we want to invoke the product via AE automation, will it matter which server we choose to install it on?  I presume AE can run it from any server with a windows agent on it?  Or is it preferable to install it on the AE server?

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 4.  RE: Questions about installing aspware's Omniview product

Posted Jun 17, 2021 03:33 AM
    Pete, that is correct, in principle OmniView can be installed and executed on any Windows system. For the initial setup, a system with desktop access is recommended so that the installation paths and parameter settings can be made. The access rights to the files and folders and, if necessary, network sharing must also be checked and possibly adjusted. With Windows server operating systems in particular, both file permissions and share permissions are often a potential source of error. We can also set up a short, technical web session if you want ...

apsware - OmniView