Expand all | Collapse all

AWI 12.3 - Bug

Matthias Schelp

Matthias SchelpAug 16, 2019 01:30 AM

• 1.  AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 15, 2019 09:02 AM
    ​Hi

strange behavior in AWI 12.3:

- I select ADMINISTRATION and open a user object, so that I can see the user tab with all the General Information.
    - after this I switch to the PROCESS ASSEMBLY view and see all the folders.
    - now I switch back to ADMINISTRATION view to check the user object Information again, I can see that this window has disappeared and I see the list of all user objects again.

Where is my opened user object view?
    This happens everytime as I switch from ADMINISTRATION to PROCESS MONITORING view or to any other view and select the fist view again.
    All opened Windows are closed automatically.

If I change content of an object and switch to another view, AWI ask me to save or cancel ! AWI wants to close the object instead of leaving it open until I'll get back to this view.

Is this a bug or a feature  now? Why isn't it possible to work with tabs within the views anymore ?

Regards
    Olaf

• 2.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 01:29 AM
    Edited by Matthias Schelp Aug 16, 2019 01:35 AM
    Hey,

Automic decided to use browser tabs instead of the build in tabs view. I think that is one of the changes made due to user feedback who were unsatisfied with the old view. You can use the browsers "back" button for the desired behavior.

Regards, Matthias

• 3.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 01:30 AM
    Edited by Matthias Schelp Aug 16, 2019 01:41 AM
    Edit: Posted the above twice by mistake.

• 4.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 02:08 AM
    In the video it is described (from 01:42)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZZKdhuH90&t=88s

------------------------------
    Mast-Jägermeister SE

• 5.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:02 AM
    When I right-click a user object and select Open, my browser (Google Chrome) does not open the User object in a new browser tab, when I select multiple user objects, right click and select Open, each user object is opened in new browser tabs. Is this behavior related to browser settings?

/Keld.

• 6.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:08 AM
    You have to hold the CTRL key

Mast-Jägermeister SE

• 7.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:23 AM
    1. CTRL+click (as shown in the video) does not open the object. Nothing happens.
    2. Middle-click button on the mouse opens the object in new browser tab (as shown in the video)
    3. Why is the behavior different when I right-click a single object and select Open compared to when I select multiple objects?
    - Single object selection opens the object inside the browser tab, whereas multiple objects selection opens the the objects in new browser tabs.

/Keld.

• 8.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:48 AM
    Okay,

1. CTRL+click (as shown in the video) does not open the object. Nothing happens.

This only works when you right click an object, press the ctrl key and select "open"

3. Why is the behavior different when I right-click a single object and select Open compared to when I select multiple objects?

Since there are no more build in "Automic tabs" you can only display 1 item per browser tab. So if you select multiple object you have to open them in a separate browser tab each. Unfortunately there is no configuration option like "always open in new browser tab".

Regards, Matthias

• 9.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 16, 2019 04:12 AM
    Thanks Matthias,
    right-click the object, THEN hold down CTRL and select Open, opens the object in a new tab :-)
    Still, it's not logical to me why I can open multiple objects without holding down the CTRL, I can just select the objects, right-click and select Open, then they open in separate browser tabs..

• 10.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 07:04 AM
    This is the intended behaviour in AWI. 

If multiple objects are selected and shall be opened, we cannot open all of the selected items in the same browser tab. Therefore a new tab is opened for every selected object.
    If one object is selected, we left it up to the user to decide how the object shall be opened. In the same view (just click open) or in a separate tab (hold ctrl-key or do a middle-click with your mouse). 

• 11.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 19, 2019 10:32 AM
    Seems that there is a lot of changes that are not working as designed or at all ....

1 - Try to open multiple objects at the same time => unable to do it, in tabs or view, it doesn't work, using CTRL, ALT or any other combination of keys.

2 - Try the option "New Session" and got no result, like if it is an inactive option of the menu.

3 - Try to open objects in two different folders to compare them =>  unable to do it because the view is switched to the object selected first and no way to select an option to open in a different view or tab like in version 1.2.2 ..... and impossible to have a tab with "Process Assembly" and tab(s) with object definition opened at the same time !!!

To summarize : looks like that every action that requires a new tab or a new view is only allowing one tab to be displayed. Same thing happen if you select "Request" on the top options. Messages seems to behave like in previous version of AWI, in a separate view ... until now.

Does all those new function requires a specific setting in the config files of AWI or a specific java JRE/JDK version ? Would be nice to know and have it indicated in the documentation.

By the way do somebody knows how to configure a local set of documentation to be used with AWI, to be able to work offline, without any internet access i.e. (security issues) ? For exemple if documentation is in C:\Automic\Documentation\Guides\webhelp\english on a desktop or laptop.

And how to have the documentation and other documentation available from AWI , like the messages documentation or an RA solution documentation ? They have the same names and default path ....

• 12.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 19, 2019 10:37 AM
    Did you deactivate the popup blocker for AWI?

• 13.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 19, 2019 12:14 PM
    ​> By the way do somebody knows how to configure a local
    > set of documentation to be used with AWI, to be able to work
    > offline, without any internet access i.e. (security issues) ?
    > For exemple if documentation is in C:\Automic\Documentation\
    >Guides\webhelp\english on a desktop or laptop.

I haven't tried it, but going by the usual rules of HTTP and the fact that the configured URL is probably just dumped into a browser, I suppose a file URL in the tomcat properties file should work:

file:///c:/Automic/Documentation/Guides/webhelp/english/index.html

Hth,

• 14.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 26, 2019 02:21 PM
    A few more tests and some information for those interested :

1 - use of Chrome is allowing a "new session" function.
    2 - multiple display of objects works also with Chrome

=>  seems that Firefox needs a fine tuning to be usable with AWI 12.3 .... but nothing is clearly explained in messages or when something doesn't work.

3 - tried multiple settings for a local documentation, nothing work and nothing is explained in the documentation of any version 12 ....

Hope that something will be available at least in the documentation in a near future.

• 15.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Aug 27, 2019 03:21 AM
    Hi Alain,

I have upgraded my Sandbox and Test environments to V12.3 and managed to install the Documentation locally so it can be accesses from the AWI.
    1. On the AWI server I have installed the Documentation to the webapps folder of the Tomcat installation:

2. On the AWI server I have entered the following URL into the configuation.properties file (located in webapps\awi\config folder):
    helpUrl.pattern=http://localhost:8080/docu_123/English/help.htm#CSHID={3}

Pls note that AWI 12.3 is compatible with Tomcat 9 and versions higher than 8.5.40 (https://downloads.automic.com/tools/compatibility_matrix?compatibility-mode=component&offering_version_id=components&lifecycle_entity_id=1409143059257)

• 16.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Posted Sep 03, 2019 06:41 AM
    Hi @Robert Thullner

when you open an object (holding down ctrl-key) you get a back-arrow (see screenshot) but clicking it does not do anything.

• 17.  RE: AWI 12.3 - Bug

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 09:05 AM
    Hello @Keld Mollnitz

Each browser tab includes a separate history. Since a new browser tab has been opened, it does not include any historical entries yet. There is nowhere to go back to. Due to security reasons, web applications do not have access to the browser information on whether there are history entries available. This prevents the UI from determining and indicating whether it is possible to go back or not.