Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 10, 2020 02:23 PM
    Hi team,

I have a query. I'm doing file transfer tests using a JOBF from windows to linux 

with the binary examples: txt .zip .bak etc... 

runs smoothly

but I want to pass uncompressed folders from windows to linux it doesn't work I've tried different ways and I haven't succeeded 

my configuration is as follows

I don't get errors in the logs

How can I transfer the content of a folder without compressing it and with the same structure whit JOBF? 

Why in the configuration is Include Sub-Directories?
    is it possible to make this transfer?

What advice would you give me? Thank you very much

------------------------------
    Arquitectura de software, ingeniero informatico
    ARUS SA

• 2.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 10, 2020 05:12 PM
    We don't use JOBF to transfer folders, just files.
    I looked up the "include sub-directories" option in the online help system, and found this;

Include Sub-Directories: The content of sub-directories is also transferred.

So by design it moves content, but not folders.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 3.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 10, 2020 05:15 PM
    If you need to consider all workarounds, you could set up a samba-share on the linux system to expose the target location to your windows network, and then run a DOS ROBOCOPY instruction to copy everything across, including folder structures.   I'm not saying this is the best practice, but it is an option to be considered...  I'm not sure what sort of rights the folders and files would wind up with on the linux system, and that could be a problem.

Pete Wirfs
    SAIF Corporation
    Salem Oregon USA

• 4.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 12, 2020 09:17 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Jul 17, 2020 01:28 PM
    I suggest to activate "Abort at First Error" untill the job runs well

Please provide your AE version!
    We're running Automation Engine API 12.2.2 and File Transfer Sheet Plugin 12.2.2. ... so, if your versions are newer/older, it might differ.
    In AE 12.2 I get an error message if I activate "Use Wildcards" and there are NO wildcards at all in "Source File" and/or "Target File".

Please try:
    "Source File"=<DRIVE>:\PATH\TO\YOUR\ROOT_DIR\*
    "Target File"=/path/to/target/dir/*
    • This will NOT transfer/create ROOT_DIR (from Source File <DRIVE>:\PATH\TO\YOUR\ROOT_DIR\) in your Target
    • This will transfer all content of your <DRIVE>:\PATH\TO\YOUR\ROOT_DIR\ into /path/to/target/dir/

Source directory

Target directory BEFORE FileTransfer
    Target directory BEFORE FileTransfer

JOBF settings
    JOBF settings
    JOBF report
    JOBF report

Target directory AFTER FileTransfer
    Target directory AFTER FileTransfer

• 5.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 13, 2020 09:08 PM
    Hi Dejan Hrubenja

I've managed to do this with your documentation, I'm very grateful for your help

Arquitectura de software, ingeniero informatico
    ARUS SA

• 6.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 13, 2020 04:46 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Jul 13, 2020 04:47 AM
    Hi.

If you want to transfer somewhat more complex directory structures between Windows and Linux/UNIX, I'd look into other options. Automic is really bare-bones at this.

• get DeltaCopy, which runs on Win32 and is a free wrapper around rsync.exe (with Cygwin dlls included), allowing Windows to speak to rsync on Linux/UNIX

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

• mount a Windows share with Samba on the Linux side, use rsync
    • export a Linux share with Samba, use robocopy.exe

Hth,

# signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Calendar Quote of the Month:
    "The point of a DR test with a remote site is usually to be operational when your main site gets flooded / set on fire / invaded by Ninjas at an inconvenient moment."

Did you know?
    Using the slide show widget for posting individual images is wrong! Please use the "insert image" button in the editor.

Pro Tip: I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

'Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine' says:
    "Asking questions the right way never hurts!"

Here, have some tips:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

• 7.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 13, 2020 05:37 AM
    "... If you want to transfer somewhat more complex directory structures between Windows and Linux/UNIX, I'd look into other options. Automic is really bare-bones at this..."
    +1
    I agree with you, Carsten!
    In our setup, I'm not allowed to install or even store any EXE (or any other executables) on the Windows machine(s) in our data center, so I have to use Automic Managed File Transfer, although it's not the best solution.

• 8.  RE: Structure transfer folders whit JOBF

Posted Jul 13, 2020 06:11 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Jul 13, 2020 06:11 AM
    Thinking about this ...

You'd think that taking freely available cygwin DLLs, and freely available rsync.exe and integrating it into Automic would be just up Broadcom's alley. Would probably take a developer a few days at most, and then their marketing people could boast about Automic having the fastest, most bandwidth-saving, rock-solid and also flexible (if properly implemented in the UI) file transfer function in the industry. They could totally stick it to that one competitor (whom I won't name) who bills his job scheduling product as being based on years of file transfer experience.

But their architecture, not mine ... :)

# signature.sh --verbose=[true|false]
    # no configurables beyond this point, only signature

Calendar Quote of the Month:
    "The point of a DR test with a remote site is usually to be operational when your main site gets flooded / set on fire / invaded by Ninjas at an inconvenient moment."

Did you know?
    Using the slide show widget for posting individual images is wrong! Please use the "insert image" button in the editor.

Pro Tip: I will NOT respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums!

'Efficient Solutions Monthly Magazine' says:
    "Asking questions the right way never hurts!"

Here, have some tips:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html