Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  CAU question

Posted Oct 05, 2020 02:17 PM
    I don't want to assume, so maybe someone has experienced this before.

When upgrading the Linux agent using CAU, if there are jobs running, I know that the agent will not be recycled.  I just want to verify that at some point when there are not jobs running, assuming there is no expiration time for pending recycle of agent, it will eventually recycle, even several hours later.

Any considerations?

Thanks for your input.

• 2.  RE: CAU question
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 06, 2020 02:12 AM
    Hi Lester,

CAU will update agent and then automatically restart it only after there are not any jobs executing to the Agent.   Also note, that once the CAU is initiated it queues the upgrade to take place and no new jobs will be able to start to that agent.    I found it difficult to get a few of my agents to update because they were executing very long running jobs mixed with jobs that would run short every 5 minutes and the CAU held those short interval jobs.  I had to cancel the update and get an outage for those agents and plan to do it at the most suitable time.  I stress to you to do some analysis on the agents workload before starting. 

Also,  I did not witness any expiration of the CAU in any of my upgrades and did not see any expiration adjustment that could be made.  

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Matt

• 3.  RE: CAU question

Posted Oct 06, 2020 03:14 AM
    Same for my experience, the mixed of long and short running jobs for the targeted Agent for CAU is very challenging and therefore need have a downtime somehow.
    @MATTHEW Selke 's  statement is correct as CAU will upgrade the targeted agent and automatically restart it only after executing/running jobs are finished.
    In addition, during CAU, targeted agent resources will set to "0" setting the jobs, using the agent, to be in "Waiting" status.

​​

Regards,
    Carlos

• 4.  RE: CAU question

Posted Oct 06, 2020 05:01 PM
    Thank you for the "Waiting" status information.  We've decided to schedule for an outage by holding batch before the upgrade and verifying no processes are running on the server.  

I seems to recall that it was thought no jobs were running on the Agent yet there were processes running.  Not sure if it is a phantom process or what.  Is there a way on the server to see if there are any processes running that is related to Automic jobs?

• 5.  RE: CAU question

Posted Oct 06, 2020 04:57 PM
    Thank you Matthew.  Very helpful, especially knowing it will stop any additional jobs from starting on the Agent.