Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Jan 17, 2020 08:53 AM
    Edited by Sujay Rajashekar Jan 21, 2020 03:36 AM
    Hi Team,

Can someone please confirm if Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation ?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Jan 17, 2020 09:13 AM
    Yes and No.

(No salutation, no explanation)

------------------------------
    Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 3.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Jan 21, 2020 03:52 AM
    As Keld explained its not officially supported.

For analyzing purposes you can use JUI 12.0.8 with later versions but some objects (e.g. LOGIN) won't be able to modify with it.

cheers, Wolfgang

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.

• 4.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Jan 17, 2020 09:23 AM
    @Sujay Rajashekar,

It may work, but it's not officially supported.

/Keld.

• 5.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 22, 2020 04:09 AM
    Hi @Sujay Rajashekar
    The Automic Web Interface is the ​UI from V12.0 and support for the Java UI ends with the V12.0 version.
    It is currently still possible to connect the Java UI to the AE but it is not supported and data integrity cannot be guaranteed due to significant changes in the product and the DB (eg LOGIN object was mentioned earlier).

In the near future, the Java UI will no longer be able to connect to the AE.

cheers
    David

Senior Product Line Manager - Automation
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company

• 6.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 20, 2020 11:23 AM
    Good Morning,
    I know that this is a bit of an old thread about 12.2.4, but I am curious if the same applies if going to 12.3.1?  I am going through some notes prior to upgrading and based on a few of the RAs we have in our environment, we may still need to have the Java UI for specific tasks.
    Thanks!
    Tina

• 7.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2020 11:43 AM
    Edited by David Ainsworth Feb 20, 2020 12:14 PM
    Hi ​Tina,
    I can confirm that the Java UI is no longer supported. 
    The V12.3 version contains the AWI that fully replaces the Java UI and has many UI functions that were missing in the V12.2 UI.
    As I stated in the earlier post, in the very near future, the Java UI will no longer be able to connect to the AE at all.
    Which RAs are you concerned about?

cheers
    David

• 8.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 21, 2020 03:49 AM
    Cheers @David Ainsworth,

Before you take away the JAVA UI completely, pls ensure that the AWI delivers at least the same - or BETTER - performance than the Java UI.
    I have an open Supoport case and if you like more details, feel free to contact me directly..

Best regards 
    Keld. :-)

• 9.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 21, 2020 04:08 AM
    Hi 

I second that fully...
    especially "statistics search" lasts ages sometimes

THX
    Wolfgang

Support Info:

• 10.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 24, 2020 04:38 AM
    Hi

Couldn't agree more .
    We are experiencing appalling response times via the AWI on our production system , but not on our test system.

No issues with the Java Gui and no help from support other than upgrade ... again !!

Regards
    Joe

• 11.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 24, 2020 06:36 AM
    Hi @David Ainsworth

Cite: I can confirm that the Java UI is no longer supported.

​provocative question:
    Why does Automic fix Java UI issues in versions 12.1 and above that officially do not support Java UI?

cheers Wolfgang

Support Info:

• 12.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 24, 2020 11:17 AM
    Hi @Frank Muffke
    Well found but...
    I'm afraid this was just a test JIRA ticket and our internal automation creates the bug list. 
    The only version that should have been included was the V12.0.8 version. The date of the fix was May 2019. V12.0 went out of maintenance in September 2019 and is only under support until September 2020. 

cheers
    David

• 13.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 24, 2020 11:48 AM
    Edited by Pete Wirfs Feb 24, 2020 12:10 PM
    @Frank Muffke

"especially "statistics search" lasts ages sometimes"

We were suffering from this problem under V11 and the Java UI.  Some times it would take several minutes for a simple query.  So I spent some time with a local DBA to study the problem, and he said the delay was definitely in the database.  He recommended that the database needed another index to resolve this.  He offered to add it, but of course I said no, we don't know what other performance impacts it might cause, and we dropped the issue.

Now we are on V12.3/AWI and we still have the same experience... but we are used to it so the staff doesn't squawk about it anymore.  I'm concerned though that as a web interface, it becomes much easier for impatient staff to close the window and start a new session, even though doing so would leave a database query running in the background.

EDIT:
    Wanted to add that while a statistics search is running for several minutes, it usually causes the UI sessions of other staff to wait as well.

Pete

• 14.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 24, 2020 11:56 AM
    it becomes much easier for impatient staff to close the window and start a new session​

This. A thousand times this. I've also said this before, that an impatient user can block various process types and brick the engine in part or as a whole.

From my experience, I don't really see any obvious reason why the AWI should take longer to generate statistics lists - it's the same queries in the background after all. With due respect, I wonder if the old fat client isn't a bit glorified in that respect. Fetching huge statistics in it was no rocket ship either, at least for us.

What's true, though, is that scrolling through lists of statistics results (or any long lists) in AWI is sometimes extra tedious because omg the browsers in 2020 still really struggle with long lists. Scrolling seems to flicker and rebuild the viewport which can be very annoying. This was probably less so with the legacy client.

Just my €0.02

• 15.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Feb 25, 2020 05:06 AM
    This. A thousand times this. I've also said this before, that an impatient user can block various process types and brick the engine in part or as a whole.

Same here. Some time ago two impatient users almost crashed our PROD system by starting Statistics searches (for 1 Run ID only) and a bad DB connection at the moment. From 8 WPs 6 were waiting for DB response....
    Workaround: 30 WPs.

I have a ticket open with support regarding "Executions search blocks 6 JWPs" - its 2 months or more open and almost no progress....

Workaround for the knowing users: the use an SQLI VARA to obtain their Statistics data :-S

cheers Wolfgang

Support Info:

• 16.  RE: Does Java User Interface works with v12.2.4 Automic Workload Automation

Posted Mar 06, 2020 04:09 PM
    Hello,
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this one.
    One main reason I've been asking this question is because we have a few other instances of Automic in our company that are on the lastest 12.2 build, and they are able to use the Java UI without issues (they do primarily use the AWI though).
    I know that the Java UI is techincally 12.0 and that new functionality would not be supported, but for a few users who may not have time to quickly review documentation and attend a quick review sessions, can they at least use this to gather any stats or view information?
    Thanks again for all of the feedback.!