Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Post Process vs Post Condition

Posted Oct 13, 2019 10:58 AM
    Does one use Post Process scripting or Post Condition checking?

I have 3 SQL jobs in a workflow; all jobs execute Oracle package procedures - the first one returns an error_number (if set), the second raises an ORA error message (if error occurs), and the third job does some other processing   Here's example code;

-- First job process
    DECLARE
         error_number   VARCHAR2(1);
    BEGIN
         process_pkg.load_data(error_number);
    END;

-- Second job process
    BEGIN
         process_pkg.validate_data;
    END;

-- Third job process
    BEGIN
         process_pkg.process_data;
    END;

What I would like to happen is; if the first job returns an error_number > 0 then abort the job and jobs 2 and 3 are blocked from running.   If an unexpected Oracle error occurs before the procedure completes that the job aborts also.   I want to be able to restart this first job after the issue has been fixed and allow jobs 2 and 3 a chance to execute.   If first job returns error_number <= 0 then proceed as normal with jobs 2 and 3.

When job 2 executes; if it returns any Oracle error (ORA) then abort job and job 3 is blocked from running.  Same as for the first job, I want to then be able to restart job 2 and continue.

Any suggestions on how I would check both error_number and possible ORA errors?

------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Post Process vs Post Condition

Posted Oct 14, 2019 02:38 AM
    Hi Gerald,

we use primarily post_processing. You can check the output of the own job by using PREP_PROCESS_REPORT and filter on known (!) error messages. It is possible to break the job on condition even it was running with rc=0 :

: MODIFY_STATE STATUS_TEXT = "Job failed"
    : MODIFY_STATE RETCODE = "50"

And you can check the return code of the execution with GET_UC_OBJECT_STATUS. We use this sometimes on Oracle SQLLoader to set the job to ok, even if there are known load errors.

Best regards,

Toni

Administrator and Developer Jobautomation
    BNP Paribas S.A. Niederlassung Deutschland

• 3.  RE: Post Process vs Post Condition
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 14, 2019 07:01 AM

Hi Gerald,

Toni is right, you can use filters or MODIFY_STATE to change the job status.

What you still need to do is to figure out whether your error_number is greater than 0; This number cannot easily be publicated to automic, you would need to print it in your Output of the PL/SQL block. And be sure that you get the output right.

To print the value of error_numer, put this line into your PL/SQL-Block:
    dbms_output.put_line('Error-Number is' || error_number);

A better way is to check the value directly in your PL/SQL and raise an error, if applicable:
    if error_number > 0 then
      raise_application_error(-20010,'An error occurred.');
    end if;
    You can use custom error numbers between -20000 and -20999.

You might also need to check for errors within your procedure:

Put something like this before the last statement "END;":

EXCEPTION
        WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
            raise_application_error(-20010,'An error occurred.');           

To catch all exceptions use:
    EXCEPTION
        WHEN OTHERS THEN

Hope that helps.

Regards, Nicole

• 4.  RE: Post Process vs Post Condition

Posted Oct 14, 2019 09:43 AM
    One option is to place them in separate workflows and then place the dependency between callings that is ANY_OK or ENDED_OK.  Else Block and send message.  Another is using scripting to do the same. set the return code = activate_uc_object.  If result > 0 do your next steps.  We have done both depending on circumstances.  Both work out fine.  I think, without knowing, is that you have a single JobS SQL object where you have all three sqls entered.  No shame in breaking them up to make life simple.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Gary Chismar
    Manager, Automic, PeopleSoft HCM/FI
    Florida State University
    Florida