Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  auto-removing large REPORT files from agent server (v11)

Posted Jan 29, 2018 06:15 PM
    I am storing the Report files in the DB for all our jobs. I've noticed that jobs with larger than allowed Report files get left on the Agent machine. Is it possible to not have this happen? Is there a setting either on the Agent or on the AE that would delete the files after transfer even if the file is too big for the DB?

• 2.  auto-removing large REPORT files from agent server (v11)

Posted Jan 29, 2018 07:13 PM
    I have never experimented with asking AE to automatically delete large report files so I don't know if such an option exists.  And the report you discard could contain critical business information.

Our approach was to address each over sized report one-at-a-time and fix them at the source.  95% of the time the information that inflates the report size is of no use to anyone, and the process of generating those reports wastes machine cycles.  So if you fix them at the source, your systems will run faster!  (We particularly saw large performance improvements when we fixed some large Oracle dbms_output reports, because it is expensive for Oracle to write out to flat files.)

We were so pleased with making our systems run faster, that once we fixed the over sized reports, I then ran the following database query to identify the largest reports that were inside of the database, and we optimized many of them too;

select oh_name as job_name
         --, ah_timestamp1 as activation_time
         , dateadd(hour, datediff(hour, getutcdate(), getdate()), ah_TimeStamp2) as Start_time
         --, ah_runtime as runtime
         , CONVERT(varchar, DATEADD(ms, ah_runtime * 1000, 0), 114) as runtime
         , count(*) as report_size
    from uc4.dbo.rt
       , uc4.dbo.ah
       , uc4.dbo.oh
    where ah_timestamp1 > cast('20171210 00:00:00:000' as DATETIME) -- how far back in time
    and   ah_oh_idnr = oh_idnr
    and   rt_ah_idnr = ah_idnr
    and   not oh_name in ('APPUTILP', 'AE_PROD#WP001') -- Objects to exclude from the selection
    group by oh_name, ah_timestamp1, ah_timestamp2, ah_runtime
    having count(*) > 500 -- MAX_REPORT_SIZE is set in UC_HOSTCHAR_DEFAULT
    order by 2;

• 3.  auto-removing large REPORT files from agent server (v11)

Posted Jan 29, 2018 08:32 PM
    SamahSohrab607228

The parameters REPORT_BLKSIZE and MAX_REPORT_SIZE have the default values which are 120 blocks and 8000 bytes, respectively. The maximum report log that can be transferred is 960KB . Please check the document below:

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/ALL/components/AE/11.2/All%20Guides/help.htm#ucaabu.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdministration%2520Guide%7CConfiguration%7CSettings%2520in%2520Variables%7C_____11

If the report log is more than 960KB, 960KB will be transfeered to AE DB and the rest will stay in the agent's temp directory. Now, as what  petwir perter mentioned the log may contain valuable information. I suggest that you write a script to move the remaining files to another directory.

Thanks
    Bob

• 4.  auto-removing large REPORT files from agent server (v11)

Posted Jan 30, 2018 04:17 AM
    I'm not aware of any such setting, but I would back up an ideas.automic.com voting for a configiration for the agent to clean up after itself, if someone were to make one.

We have "find" jobs that clean the temp directory of the agent and purge older files each day.

Best,
    Carsten