Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 12, 2019 10:42 PM

Dear Experts,

I have a recurring workflow everyday at a particular time. It has 3 Tasks. ( Task1/Task2/Task3)

On any given day, Task 2 should be executed only when Task1 is successful.

However, I notice that the workflow goes to blocked state and fails to start on the next day. 

I assume that the workflow should start everyday irrespective of the previous day result.

Is that correct? If not, Please help to overcome this problem.

Thank you,

Kiran

• 2.  Re: Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 14, 2019 07:25 AM

Questions 

What is the Max Parallel condition set on the workflow attributes ?

How is this workflow scheduled ?

If you have max parallel wait - you simply have to remove it so the workflow will not wait for the previous run to be completed before it executes.

Regards,

G.

• 3.  Re: Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 14, 2019 09:50 PM

Under Workflow Attributes-> Tasks running Parallel -> Max number = 0

Under Workflow Attributes-> Automatically deactivate when finished ->    After an error free restart

Task 2 Dependency -> If Task1 ended_not_ok then -> Block

Based on the above conditions, will the workflow restart automatically ( if Task1 failed) or should we unblock or deactivate the old execution for the next occurrence to start?

Thank you.

Kiran

• 4.  Re: Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 15, 2019 05:27 AM

Well - How is this workflow scheduled to run ?

• 5.  Re: Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 15, 2019 06:21 AM

Hi

regarding

I notice that the workflow goes to blocked state and fails to start on the next day. 

WHY does the task fail - which returncode/err message do you get ?

pls check in the object attributes if thereis a max parallel condition set...

basically there should be no influence from the stuck task of your workflow when its started another day (unless max // option is set anywhere)

ahhh and WHY dose the Workflow failsto start on the next day? Err message would be helpful

cheers, Wolfgang

• 6.  Re: Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 18, 2019 12:02 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

WHY does the task fail - which returncode/err message do you get ? --> There was some issue at application level, so the job ended_not_ok. 

pls check in the object attributes if thereis a max parallel condition set... --> Max Parallel condition =0

WHY dose the Workflow failsto start on the next day? --> I would assume that I have manually cancelled the  stuck workflow assuming that unless I unblock it, it wouldnt start the next occurrence and changed the status to manually cancelled.

However I could resolve the issue--> I have set the dependency as Abort when any job fails so that the whole workflow aborts.  The workflow is able to start every occurrence without any problem now.

Thank you for your inputs, but please let me know if its not a  standard practice manually cancelling the workflow.

Regards,

Kiran

• 7.  Re: Workflow Blocked in recurring execution

Posted Mar 18, 2019 07:33 AM

Hi

good question - thats a matter of implementing style :-)

if your other workflow tasks are not affected negatively you can abort the whole WF and restart it.

cheers, Wolfgang