Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Automic Database

Posted Sep 07, 2018 10:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to Move the AE DB (SQL Server) from one server to another.

DBA team will move that however from Automic end please let me know what all do I need to do.

(editing ini files etc)

Thanks

SHani

• 2.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 10, 2018 03:30 AM

Hi,

1. Please shut down your Automation Engine before the move
    2. Please change the ODBC Connection from the old to the new DB Server 
    3. If you are on AWA 11.x or 12.x you have to change the JDBC connect string in the ucsrv.ini file
    4. If you use a DB Agent connecting with the AWA DB (not DB Service) please change the connect there as well
    5. After you have the OK from your DBA team start the Automation Engine 

Important: I'm sure your DBA Team knows it, but some times this was not on the radar. If you don't use sa or you use Windows Authentication AD User base and the DB Schema is owned different to dba the DBA Team should export/import users or might have to run some sp_ procedures after taking over the db to the new Server.

• 3.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 10, 2018 07:41 AM

Thanks Franz,

Is there a document I can refer to ??

• 4.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 10, 2018 07:52 AM

On docs.automic.com you find all information related to the AWA Release you are using regarding configuration files, parameters and Mircosoft Data Access Components (ODBC) settings.
    Regarding MSSQL Server user authentication and rights, moving a Database it depends on how you actual usage looks like at the moment. Here the Microsoft SQLServer online help and KB is helpful as this is not effecting our Automation Engine, Utilities and SQL Agent only. 

• 5.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 11, 2018 10:57 AM

Hi Franz, 

It turned out that DBAs only configured 1 CPU on the DB server, so we are going with configuring 3 more on the DB server which will help in getting us more room on CPU usage.

in this scenario I guess I do not need to shut down the AE for 1 hour of down time. however the DB server will be down for the time.

Can you explain what are the effects of bringing the DB server down (Job Failures, Agent Restart) and do I need to restart the AE 

server as well??

I am more worried about what would happen to the jobs which are scheduled for the time when we put the DB/AE server down.

(Sorry for barging you with queries, but I guess that's the only way to learn)

Thanks

Shani

• 6.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 11, 2018 11:46 AM

Correct, you also can stop and start the DB Instance if it's a local change only. The Automation Engine will reconnect automatically when the DB is back and ready. Than it will Sync with the Agents. 

If you migrate the DB to a new Server you need a downtime and process as listed above to have the guarantee to start on a consistent db after the move / upgrade etc ...

Strategy is used for other applications running on a DB as for example SAP. Updating or Migrating the DB Server means also a downtime. Short restart because of changing a parameter or binary you can keep it up and running and it will reconnect automatically when the DB is back (up and running).

• 7.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 11, 2018 12:53 PM

what would be the effect on scheduled object when the DB goes down.

• 8.  Re: Automic Database

Posted Sep 12, 2018 09:57 AM

For sure during the DB is offline, the Automation Engine is not able to process anything util the DB is back, reconnect of all CP, WP, JCP, JWP processes are done with success. Also depending on the time the outage of DB has tooken all Agents might have to reconnected and sync the status. If the Automation Engine could not submit an activity at the defined time (Schedule Object or Period) the execution will not be processed automatically. 

This means for I would not recommend to do this during the time where you have the most critical excutions are started from your Schedule Objects of Period Objects in case of a short db downtime needed. Back to you inital Question at the begin, this is something for a full down time window only.