Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  AWA installation - Windows r2 2012 vs RHEL6 ?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 02:09 PM
    Hi All,

Need your inputs/suggestions in configuring Automic environment in Production. Our requirements are as follows.

* We will have around 100-200 users who would interact with Automation Engine on a daily basis.
    * Number of agents communicate with AE would be around 2000 to 3000.

Which OS could be a better option to install Automation engine and what is the required hardware configuration to effectively handle multiple users at any given point of time. However, we already made up our mind to use ORACLE as AE DB but would like to know how much space does it require to store logs and other cache stuff.

Thanks in advance.

-Srujan. 

• 2.  AWA installation - Windows r2 2012 vs RHEL6 ?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 02:56 PM
    This is always a topic that comes with great debate. The sizing documentation for a system you described has a serious hardware requirement according to:

From what I've noticed/experienced Windows/mssql provides the best performance with the AE. However, currently my setup is RHEL/Oracle and that works fine. Given the choice though I would choose MSSQL for the backend.

• 3.  AWA installation - Windows r2 2012 vs RHEL6 ?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 03:27 PM
    Hi
    I would take 2 additional bulletpoints into consideration:

* Which DB type does your DBA/you know better - MS SQL or ORacle?
    * Which OS type does your OS guys/you know better - Windows or RHEL?

If the result is MSSQL and RHEL you should fire your linux guys and hire some windows knowing staff.
    :-)

cheers, Wolfgang

• 4.  AWA installation - Windows r2 2012 vs RHEL6 ?

Posted Mar 08, 2018 04:51 AM
    Srujan Pathuri said:

* We will have around 100-200 users who would interact with Automation Engine on a daily basis.
    I know you didn't ask this, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Think very well about if you really want to have 100-200 people working with Automic. Are those people only starting jobs? That'd be fine.

Are they building jobs? In that case, please consider that, unless all of your people are trained to a high standard and properly obliged to cater for "system hygiene", you may end up with a veritable mess containing poorly built jobs, uncoordinated server loads, obsolete objects and scripting that does not follow any guidelines.

Of course this can be counteracted with training, obligations and job documentation. But I for one have come to be a proponent of having a central department writing jobs, not everyone else.

You also have to be aware that the AE will not shield itself from user error. With the exception of some features such as the recursiveness throttle in the scripting language, users can bring down the AE if given sufficient user permissions, simply by e.g. writing poor scripts.

Best regards,
    Carsten