Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

notification object limit on size of email

• 1.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 11, 2018 05:08 PM
    I know in previous versions there was a limit of 8000 characters for the notification object and that this limitation was removed.
    We are running Spark jobs and the stdout gets very very long, it turns out that we are hitting some kind of limit. My notification email object gets this error and then gets a Fault Start Impossible

2018-01-11 13:34:06 - U01001323 The maximum allowed record length was exceeded.

Anyone know what the maximum allowed record length is?

• 2.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 11, 2018 05:11 PM
    When I restart the Fault Start Impossible job, it succeeds, but it no longer puts the Report into the email or puts any of the attachments.

• 3.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 11, 2018 06:10 PM
    Interesting.  The documentation says "You may use an unlimited number of characters".   

I did some quick trial-and error, and discovered that it could handle a content of 1003k just fine, but a content of 1062k fails, so the answer is somewhere between those two figures.   The kooky thing is why does Automic allow me to save content that will always fail at runtime?

• 4.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 11, 2018 06:31 PM
    I did a few more tests, and I now suspect the size limit is 1024k, which certainly is a lot more than the old 8000 byte limit, but certainly not "unlimited".    They really should update the documentation...

• 5.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 11, 2018 06:34 PM
    I like their definition of "unlimited"

• 6.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 12, 2018 02:25 AM
    Which Error Message does appear exactly?

Could this issue be influenced by MAX_REPORT_SIZE and MAX_REPORT_BLKSIZE in Clt 0 ?

• 7.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 12, 2018 05:39 AM
    What version is this? I seem to remember someone from Automic saying that these limits were looked at for V12.

And, please clarify for me whether you're having an issue with the overall size of the report or the line length. I just tested this in 12.1. Here's my findings (and they are not pretty ...):

• I can send an email with a report of 2.2 MB size with a notification object without any problems.

• There appears to be a limit to the size of each line: When I generate a report with a line of 100.000 characters, the report itself cuts off the line after 4096 characters and then appends, for no good reason, a bunch of "***" (asterisk) characters!?So it actually falsifies the report output!?

4ngxjn9ds2q9.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/7q/4ngxjn9ds2q9.png" width="809">

• Eventhough the job in the above example is ENDED_OK, the notification object (which I have invoked in the runtime tab for any return code greater -1) simply never gets called, silently.

• When I used dd to read from /dev/zero (i.e. binary data), the behaviour was so inconsistent, I can only describe it as "undefined". Sometimes I would get mails. Sometimes I would not. Above a certain treshold I can't view the report in AWI (thoughsometimesit gets sent via email regardless), I get an error about exceeding redord size when trying to view the file. Sometimes I got just a new, blank browser tab with an endlessly spinning icon. Sometimes, I got this:

ytlzv9hnkyrr.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/gn/ytlzv9hnkyrr.png" width="785">

• During testing this, I found three other as of yet unexlained problems, one of them pretty major. Argh ... :(

• 8.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 12, 2018 11:31 AM
    The 1024k limit I discovered was the "Notification" tab of a Notification/Email object, and I tested it with 11.2.4.

According to this documentation page, the "text field for the message" is supposed to be "unlimited", even though it isn't;
    https://docs.automic.com/documentation/WEBHELP/English/AWA/11.2/AE/11.2/All%20Guides/help.htm#ucacox.htm%3FTocPath%3DUser%2520Guide%7CObjects%7CAlphabetical%2520Listing%7CNotification%7C_____6

This limit restricts the amount of email body text that may be sent.

Automic allows me to save the object with an illegal amount of text in this field, and then it throws this error at run-time;
    cvllqidfbctg.jpg

I think I'll run some tests to see if this restriction applies to SEND_MAIL() too....

• 9.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 12, 2018 11:47 AM
    I just ran a SEND_MAIL() function with a 1025k size body, and it did not fail.  So this 1024k restriction seems to be unique to the notify object.

• 10.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 12, 2018 12:03 PM
    fwiw, I just put 100k characters into what I assume is that field in 12.1 in AWI (see screenshot please). The call object ran (triggered by my JOBS), and it did send an email. That mail took a little longer to show up (a minute or so), but it arrived, and it has 100.000 characters (30 pages in the industry standard "Pasted into MS Word" benchmark) in it ;)

lh5r3m2hdzph.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/im/lh5r3m2hdzph.png" width="802">

Have a good weekend,

• 11.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 12, 2018 12:08 PM
    p.s. original author wrote that the stdout gets very long for their jobs. Wouldn't stdout not be in the report anyways, and not show up in the notification tab's text field? Sorry if I'm confused here, just trying to help.

• 12.  notification object limit on size of email

Posted Jan 16, 2018 04:18 PM
    Carsten_Schmitz_7883 
    The STDOUT would be in the Notification object if I want the User to be notified of the error that their job had. I process the stdout to determine who to notify based on the error.

I'm using version 11.2.5, because version 12 has no improvements that make a material impact on the way we use Automic.

I use the notification object instead of the send_mail function because I don't see a way to attach the Reports to the function. And I don't want to spend time on this when the notification object works just fine, now that I'm aware of the limitation.

I was using the notification object in v9, and it had a limit of 8k characters, and when I read the documentation that said there wasn't a limit I modified the notification object to no longer truncate. But the documentation for version 11 is incorrect in that they claim the notification object is unlimited, but we've discovered it is not.