Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Official & supported Docker images for Automic software

Posted Jan 03, 2018 09:10 AM

We are using container technologies such as Docker more and more. Although Automic provides some tools for working with Docker images & containers from inside AWA and ARA, Automic does not provide any tools or guidance for running its own software inside Docker. We would like this to change. After all, the AE is just another app. To this end, I created a new enhancement request:

Provide Docker base images certified for Automic software 

My idea is that Automic would put together and maintain a standard set of base Docker images that can be used to run Automic software applications, including the Automation Engine, the AE Agents, and the Automic Web Interface. These docker images would be treated as a supported platform.

The advantages of running applications in Docker are many, but the the most salient to us are:

• Continuous development, testing, & integration
    • Standardization & portability

Providing standard base Docker images would yield several advantages to Automic as well, most related to the ability to quickly, consistently, and reliably spin up Automic applications in containers. Here are just a few use cases:

• Developers: test environments for testing bug fixes and new versions
    • Sales staff: demo systems for customers
    • Consultants: test and development environments, to reduce reliance on the client’s infrastructure
    • Instructors: classroom environments

If you like the idea, please vote for it.

• 2.  Official & supported Docker images for Automic software

Posted Feb 22, 2018 01:06 PM
    Michael,

I stumbled upon your posts regarding Docker + AWI as we will attempt to get this working internally as well.Were you able to get AWI running in a container?

I am disappointed that Automic has not commented on your posts thus far. AWI in a Docker image is a no brainer.

Thanks,
    Bryan

• 3.  Official & supported Docker images for Automic software

Posted Feb 22, 2018 01:22 PM
     I have not had time to work on this lately, but I plan to return to the topic soon. See also this discussion:

• 4.  Official & supported Docker images for Automic software

Posted Feb 22, 2018 10:46 PM
    Thanks Michael. I was able to create AWI docker images (12.0.3/12.0.4) this afternoon and everything seems to be working fine on a standalone Docker host.. Having some trouble with Kubernetes hosting AWI with Session Timeouts.. I will contribute to the discussion you linked to.