John O'MullaneNov 28, 2014 06:58 AM

John O

John O'MullaneDec 03, 2014 11:38 AM

• 1.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:58 AM

• 2.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 27, 2014 11:27 AM

Jennifer:

I see nothing in your post, no text, link or attachment, just the subject line and the bottom icons for Twitter and such.  Is this an omission?

I don't know what others are seeing, but we have a "net nanny" here at work so it may be filtering (read obliterating) your content.  I guess I can check this out tonight from home.

Thanks, Mark

• 3.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 27, 2014 02:54 PM

I don't see the video link either....  ;)

• 4.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 27, 2014 06:46 PM

I've logged on from home, using both IE 11 and Chrome.  Still nothing to see in the OP.

• 5.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 27, 2014 07:41 PM

Hmmm, let's try this again. Might be cause I was using a https link rather than http.

• 6.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 28, 2014 09:16 AM

Video is really helpful. Thanks.

but i do see job name appeared instead of workflow name in Parent Object and Parent Type as JOBS in email received. Correct if am wrong.

• 7.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 28, 2014 11:00 AM

I got the solution.

We received expected result, if we use the Notficiation object in Workflow level.

• 8.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 28, 2014 11:58 AM

In many cases video is the best (fastest) learning tool for me.  It gives me the ability to play/pause at my own pace.   It will do this product good to build a collection of videos just like this one! 

We extended the runtime tab notification feature by having it fire a script instead of a notification object.  Our alert scripts have variable settings that tell it if it should (a) open a trouble ticket, (b) send an email to the appropriate oncall staff, (c) send a text message to the appropriate oncall staff, or (d) start a UC4 alert with escalation rules.  I hope to extend it further to support sending a voice message someday so it will be able to wake up staff that are sleeping.

We also have an Excel workbook that has macros to rotate staff oncall duties by support team.  It writes its results to a CSV file and our alert systems read this CSV file to determine who to send alerts to.   Our first-level alerts are only sent to the #1 and #2 that are currently oncall.  (I consider this Excel solution to be brittle and a pain to support, but I haven't been able to find any products that would do exactly what we wanted.)

• 9.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 28, 2014 12:13 PM

This facility does *not* display alias names.  I had to code my own solution to overcome this limitation, and shared it in a different thread in these forums;

http://community.automic.com/discussion/comment/1357/#Comment_1357

• 10.  RE: Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Oct 02, 2020 06:08 AM
    Hello Expert ,

We are getting below error while sending sap job spool. 

Unfortunately neither video link is opening nor @Pete Wirfs 's thread to check further. 
    Could you please guide what is missing on this. 

Regards,
    Viral

• 11.  RE: Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Oct 08, 2020 05:33 AM
    Hi Viral,
    Peter has already answered your question
    https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=9d574938-afb4-4019-9e6d-ffb71f89f0b6&CommunityKey=2e1b01c9-f310-4635-829f-aead2f6587c4&tab=digestviewer#bm9d574938-afb4-4019-9e6d-ffb71f89f0b6

------------------------------
    Thx & rgds
    Christian
    ------------------------------

• 12.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 28, 2014 12:36 PM

Pete:

Not to highjack this thread, but would it be possible to use Calendar Keywords to rotate your staff notifications?  Perhaps you could build some script logic that would perform the needed decisions based upon the calendar and perhaps time of day.

We have a set of “fake” users (they have no Privileges nor Authorizations) that exist just for the purpose of Notification objects.  We use the Email2 address to point to an Outlook mail list for the actual delivery of the notification.  Though we don’t use the feature, the User object has the “Logon allowed from” and “Calendar check” attributes that may be applicable to your process. 

Perhaps some combination of all of this could replace the Excel portion.   After all, this is “just” a scheduling problem isn't it? ;)

• 13.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Mar 28, 2014 01:33 PM

The scope of our Excel oncall-rotation solution has grown so that it is now hard to envision a successful replacement with a single tool.  We have a SharePoint expert that is hoping to take a stab at it, but he hasn’t made any progress.

One of the problems with an automated oncall rotation is that it isn’t very static.  People take vacations or have unexpected life issues that require the oncall duties be adjusted.  Personal contact information can also be volatile.  Because of these fluid requirements we've opened up the Excel so that everyone has update rights.  If a person needs to make an adjustment, they are expected to do it themselves.  (I provide support when they accidentally harm the Excel application.)

Each team has its own sheet that displays everyone on that team, identifes who is currently oncall, and displays their personal contact information.  Staff maintain their personal contact information on a master sheet because some staff belong to multiple support teams.  There is also an exceptions sheet where you can document short-term duty overrides. (i.e. program “x” was recently modified so contact Pete if anything goes wrong for the first 30 days.) 

When an automatic rotation takes place (Monday mornings) it notifies staff of their responsibilities via an email.  This solution is popular with our IT support teams that don’t support batch processing as well, so the entire division (about 110 people) uses it.

I'm still considering your suggestion though.  For instance I could have each sheet be a separate CSV file that the staff continue to maintain themselves, and then apply UC4 automation to perform the weekly rotation process of those CSV files.

• 14.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 25, 2014 03:57 AM
    Hi,
    It is possible to cc a person/email alias by using the Notification? I know that you can use SEND_MAIL to cc, but we are on V10 and nearly all our notifications are done via the runtime tab.

Is there an easy way to cc using notification/runtime?

• 15.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 25, 2014 12:49 PM
    I don't think cc is supported in notification objects.

How about if your runtime tab references a script object, and the script object uses SEND_MAIL?

• 16.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 26, 2014 04:19 AM
    Yes, I have thought of this alright, but then I loose the cool HTML features on the Notification..

• 17.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 26, 2014 10:21 AM
    Instead of using a Notification or the SEND_MAIL script function we often execute a notification job, normally a UNIX sendmail command.  It nicely supports both a cc and HTML formatting.  Depending on our need we sometimes have a Notification also ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT the job with the sendmail command so we get the features of both.

• 18.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 27, 2014 06:07 AM
    Thanks. I'm interested in your second comment. We also use the ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT command within some of our scripts to execute notifications. Can you show me an example of how this can be used in conjunction with the SEND_MAIL command?

• 19.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 27, 2014 12:49 PM
    Just create a Script object that contains the desired SEND_MAIL function and then activate it from the Notification. If you need to pass values to the Script from the Notification then use the PSET function and add the PASS_VALUES parameter to the Activate. 

If you need some sample code I can probably cut and paste something when I return to work on Monday.

• 20.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Nov 28, 2014 06:58 AM
    That would be great, thanks.

• 21.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Dec 01, 2014 10:36 AM
    John:

Here's a very simple example.  We are on OM V8 and this should be upward compatible.

Notification object Process tab:
    :PSET &to_addr = "me@here.com" :PSET &cc_addr = "them@somewhere.com" :PSET &subject = "Please Ignore, Test" :PSET &msg_text = "Testing SEND_MAIL functionality with passed variables." :SET &ret = ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT(SEND_MAIL_SCRIPT,,,,,PASS_VALUES) ! Error checking as required.
    Process tab of SEND_MAIL_SCRIPT Script object :
    ! Variables passed from activator. Assumes that the # Values tab has the ! Inherit from Parent option set to All values(default). :SET &ret = SEND_MAIL(&to_addr,&cc_addr,&subject,&msg_text) :IF &ret EQ 0 : PRINT "Email sent as requested." :ELSE : SET &emsg = "SEND_MAIL function failed, RC=&ret" : PRINT &emsg : STOP MSG,55,&emsg : ENDIF

Hope this helps.

• 22.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Dec 01, 2014 06:06 PM
    Thanks for helping answer John's question Mark. :smile: 

The 'CC' in the Notification (CALL) object would be a great suggestion to add in the Product Idea category. Not sure if it's already been suggested, but please feel free to add it if not.

• 23.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Dec 03, 2014 11:38 AM
    excellent, thanks all..

• 24.  Video - How to SetUp Email Notifications in ONE Automation

Posted Dec 03, 2014 02:00 PM
    John:

Just as a note:  There is no real reason to have the Process tab of the Notification object activate a separate object for sending the email (unless you want to).  The SEND_MAIL function can just as well be executed directly by the Notification object's logic.  

I only showed that since that is what you asked for.  The reason that I initially mentioned the ACTIVATE_UC_OBJECT was so that a UNIX sendmail command could be used.