Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Job Status/Output Issue

Posted Jun 13, 2019 10:27 AM

Hi All,

We are running few .NET jobs through Automic and facing issue with the job status where the job fails from windows end, however it is ENDED_OK with return code 0 on Automic. error log from .NET do not show any exit code for the failure.

for now we are using the FILTER objects to scan the output and change the return code to 1 making the Job status to ENDED_NOT_OK.
    I have below questions in above context.
    1: if an exit code is not present in the job report, how Automic decides on the status.
    2: does everytime, Automic reads the exit code from the job logs and if not found set the exit code to 0 by default, even if the script has failed on the server.
    is there a way to overcome this, apart from using the FILTER Object.

I have attached the script logs and Automic job report both for the job.

Thanks
    Shani

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Job Status/Output Issue

Posted Jun 13, 2019 04:50 PM
    This behavior is not unique to .NET solutions.   Any application that fails to set a non-zero return code upon error will have this issue.  This is why you always need to test your failure use-cases and make sure Automic will trap all of them.  All of the systems I have worked with will return a default exit code of zero to Automic... this is not an Automic behavior, but a behavior of the application you are working with (in your case, .NET).

We use the FILTER solution for many different types of solutions.  We like to have our solutions write a standardized "good end of job" message, and if this message is missing, then the Automic filter knows we have a failure condition.