Agile Requirements Designer

View Only
  • 1.  Decision Output Probability

Posted Nov 04, 2020 09:18 PM
    Hello ARD Community,
    I have this model where several multi-output case decisions and decision tables have been set and my client wants the generated test cases to come out with each output based on probability, for example, in one decision table I have this:
    Based on that, I want the first output to be selected for the majority of the cases with 50%, then 35% and 15%, but the Path Explorer when generating the cases is taking each output equally, for example if it generates 30 cases, each output is selected 10 times, instead of 15, 10 and 5.
    I would like to know if there is a way of using this probability feature for my requirement.

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2020 08:35 AM

Good moring,

What version of ARD are you using?

Did you go to the output details and see the output probability setting?

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Posted Nov 05, 2020 10:45 AM
    Hi Gene,
    I'm using version 2.1. Yes I checked that option and set 80% for one output and 20% for the other and still the outputs are getting selected 50/50.
    Not sure if I should choose Probabilistic as my optimization option, although I tried that one also and percentages are distributed a little better, but not as expected and sometimes I get 100% from one output and 0 from the other.

• 4.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2020 01:17 PM
    This additional information might help explain what you are seeing.
    This is from @Mark Asbury

Probability optimization is a subjective approach. However, when using probability on the outputs for decision tables or any other blocks, you are just tagging the probable use of that output. Then in Path Explorer, you can choose the Minimal Coverage - Probabilistic optimization technique to use that to generate the minimum number of test cases that meet the probability thresholds you set

In other words, give me the minimum test cases that cover all my 50% probable outcomes.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Posted Nov 05, 2020 01:26 PM
    Thanks Gene,
    So if I use any other technique, "Full Coverage - All Possible Paths" for example, Path explorer should take into account the % I give on each output, right?

• 6.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2020 01:40 PM
    no that is not my understanding. The % is only used when using Minimal Coverage - Probabilistic optimization technique

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Posted Nov 05, 2020 01:42 PM
    Here is an example of a decision I have configured:
    First output configured 75%
    Second output configured 25%
    As you can see, when the path explored generates the paths, most are going for the first output, and for the second it got less than 1%

• 8.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2020 02:33 PM

So I do not think you are going to end up with test cases based on your % the way you think.
    I know in the new ARD 3.1 this minimal optimation path is no longer present.

Your best bet would be to probably create the number of paths required using a pin and save them off in individual processes.

Maybe others can chime in here in case I have missed something with the older version 2.1 of ARD.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Decision Output Probability

Posted May 16, 2021 01:21 PM
    Your best bet would be to probably create the number of paths required using a pin and save them off in individual processes.