Agile Requirements Designer

View Only
  • 1.  Paremetarisation - How to pass parameters values from main flow to sub flows

Posted Feb 19, 2019 06:09 AM

Hi CA ARD Team,

From the docops  notes - it was bit not clear to me how to pass the English and Spanish parameters to a sub flow.

link which I was referring as below

https://docops.ca.com/ca-agile-requirements-designer/2-7/en/requirements-modeling/create-flows/parameterize-flows-and-script-generation

Could anybody help me or if possible post the model which describes the parameters that will flow from Main flow to sub flow.

ARD version I am using = v2.8.000.17

regards

Goutham

• 2.  Re: Paremetarisation - How to pass parameters values from main flow to sub flows
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 06:34 AM
      |   view attached

Hello there.  Here is an example i put together to show how it works.

lets say i have 2 flows
    Test_Parent_1 ( has a variable, startdate)
    Test_Subflow1 (has a parameter,EffectiveStartDate & a variable EndDate)

In Test_Parent_1 flow, startdate is set to : @addranddays(~SDATE~,5,10)@
    and the subflow parameter EffectiveStartDate is set to variable startdate.
    In my subflow i now use the parameter (EffectiveStartDate) to calculate an end date for the subflow
    @addranddays(^EffectiveStartDate^,3650,6000)@ < 21 years
    or 
    @addranddays(^EffectiveStartDate^,7400,9000)@ > 21 years
    I have attached a simple example.  I hope i havent confused you even more.
    regards

Attachment(s)

zip
    parameter.zip   13 KB 1 version

• 3.  Re: Paremetarisation - How to pass parameters values from main flow to sub flows

Posted Feb 19, 2019 08:56 AM

Hello Billy Keefer,

Thank you for your quicker response.

from the example mentioned I suppose we need to use TDM in order to use @addranddays function.

is there any possibility without TDM connectivity to pass through the main flow parameters/variables to sub flow.

( I don't have access to TDM )

So in alignment to your example I have created a Language and Language_Sub_Flow with hard coded value

for test variable Language = Rusia.

and mapped to Sub flow Parameter MainLanguage = ^Language^

when I try to generate the test cases from path explorer  for main flow (Language) -

I could not dynamically see the value as Rusia under Test Data column. Its showing as ^MainLanguage^ instead of Rusia. (Let  me know when and where the ^variable^ will be parsed with actual value. may be I am wrongly proceeding here)

Could you help me out where I am doing the mistake.

Please find the attached both main and sub flows for your reference.

regards

Goutham

Attachment(s)

zip
    Language.vtf.zip   8 KB 1 version
    zip
    language_subflow.vtf.zip   5 KB 1 version

• 4.  Re: Paremetarisation - How to pass parameters values from main flow to sub flows

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 02:51 PM

The variable would be resolved when either generating test data (under menu test factory) or generating automation.  That said, when using the variable set up like ^Language^, ARD is going to prompt you for the location of the TDM service.  Can I ask what you are trying to achieve?  Remember the parameter and its value is not going to drive what path the test case follows.  It is a means of passing data from one flow to another.