DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 07, 2021 09:12 AM
    We are conducting an evaluation of UIM for its functionality/capabilities of the application. We are wondering if we can get some good, bad and ugly from other end clients that have been using the system. We are running NetOps 20.X with Spectrum and Performance Center and looking for the additional benefits that UIM may bring as well as some of the challenges folks have encountered. We are covering Data Center devices , AWS, and Azure so looking at it from a broad perspective. We have deployed a number of probes (OOTB) and are also looking at anyone that may have developed probes and what the LOE may be.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

------------------------------
    Don Henderson
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2021 05:12 PM
    HI Don, I know I am not necessarily a customer, but from what I have seen, in short UIM can monitor anything or metric related to any OS as well as most application add-ons, DB's VM Web stuff, in a secure way(customers have to get rid of SNMP) and alarm and historically report on any said metric collected. Some customers have DB or container needs and maybe want to monitor their cloud devices directly and securely.

• 3.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 17, 2021 11:59 AM
    Thanks for the input, we are looking at some of the specific probes such as logmon, aws, etc. They do seem to fill some gaps which typical SNMP can not cover but it still looks like a need for a hybrid approach is needed to cover devices that are snmp specific. We are using Spectrum and  Performance Manager today which does a great job in the SNMP arena. I think the concern is more on not so much the collection of the data but the display and reporting (historical), DX PM has great dashboard etc but UIM in my view fails to provide the detailed performance reporting from otehr metrics have you looked at this?

Don

• 4.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2021 09:39 AM
    The presentation layer is being updated to encompass the abilities it had, and you mentioned in UIM's older Flash UMP version. 20.4 release will bring it closer to PM and its old abilities, and I presume the next version even more.
    I have customers today integrating with Spectrum and ServiceNow using different methods they prefer, with good results.

• 5.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 09, 2021 06:43 AM
    Suggest you read through the recent postings (newer than maybe September 2020) to get a feel for what people are saying and maybe look at the ideas section to see what people are asking for in the product.

From my perspective (full acknowledge that everyone is a little unique so my concerns may not apply) the benefit of UIM when we purchased it was it's flexibility. You can pretty much monitor anything - if there's a command or script you can run then you can probably be confident you can monitor it. And the nas has the ability to run scripts against the inbound messaging so you can programmatically fix/enhance/adjust things on the fly. This gives one a lot of control over the functionality of the product. 

Now the bad - the behavior of the product management group is very rip-and-replace. Sometimes with no replace. As an example, take the sunset of Flash - rather than port the existing UMP produce to be fully Flash it was instead removed from the product. EMS was released as a supposed replacement for nas/alarm_enrichment though that hasn't really gotten any traction. The templating functionality for probe configurations has been through five different iterations now and still doesn't come close to the archive package functionality.  The admin tool IM hasn't been touched software wise (except for adding IP6 support) in 8 years but it's still a better admin tool than the current iteration of the web based admin console.

I think much of the issue is that the product has maybe 20% the number of developers it needs which puts the product management people into the situation of not having the resources to fix the existing issues completely, not having the resources to keep updating the existing feature set to keep current with the products they monitor and also not having the resources to build something new. 

I think that most would agree here that product releases are at best beta quality and that one can expect to see patches to a given feature over the following 18 months to fix issues. It is better than it was several years ago but not good. To put it in a little perspective, my central hub has 50 probes active on it - seven of those probes are hot fix releases. Two or three more are running older versions because of defects in the current version for which there is no fix. The hotfix thing is a double edged sword - it's nice to get things fixed outside the product release cycle but on the other hand it would be nice if the GA versions were correct to begin with.

I think (I keep repeating that just to denote the possible difference between my perception and someone else's) that the recent product directions are also driven by standard RFP/RFI types of questions where Broadcom wants to make sure they get a check mark in a box whether the feature is useful or not. It's kind of one of those things where resources get wasted chasing things that don't matter long term. 

I could go on but hopefully this gives a feel for my experience. The bones of the product are good but there are days where I feel like Broadcom is trying to convert a reliable draft horse into a poodle and winding up with a pony with bows in its mane.

• 6.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 10, 2021 03:19 PM
    Hi Garin,

I agree with everything you said about the product, I've been working with UIM (I don't even know what name to use since I've been working with it since version 7.x and there are a lot of name changes) for over 7 years.

At the moment I'm planning to upgrade to version 20.3.3, we're at 9.0.2 and there's really a lot missing if we compare the features that these versions will have a very big impact for the users of our operation, what I expected is that the new OC console had the same things as USM in terms of features and options, it really let me down with the product, I'll have to upgrade because of the 9.0.2 end of life cycle, but if not if that were the case, I would continue with this version.

Now more than ever we have plans to migrate UIM to Zabbix + Grafana, it seems to me a more mature and attractive solution than UIM.

• 7.  RE: UIM Evaluation

That is interesting on the migration to Zabbix and Grafana, did you put any thought into any of the other enterprise apps such as Dyantrace, datadog etc? I would be interested as to what type of analysis you may have done to come to your migration plan...

Don

• 8.  RE: UIM Evaluation

I do like the analogy, where I find myself today is looking at gaps in the current SNMP environment and how to cover them while moving into the AWS/Azure arena. This by no means is a simple task, we are using Spectrum and DX Performance Manager which really to provide a good coverage for SNMP. But moving to the next level (micro Service) brings a new set of challenges and gaps. So looking for an application that can really cover what we need while maintaining what we have has really not been an easy analysis to cover. Looking at a number of vendors and trying to compare apples to apples is not straight forward. I am a bit disappointed with the reporting (historical and real-time) from UIM but I am also looking at the integration into Spectrum and enviably Service Desk for Incident generation which in that capacity seems to work well. It is all in the collection and reporting arenas where I seem to be challenged with UIM. Of course leaving cost out of the equation, thanks again for the response and if you have any additional info that come up please pass it on and I shall do the same.

Don

• 9.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 21, 2021 09:39 AM
    I can wrote my name below that also.
    We are using UIM since Version 3.x, a time where it was still under managament of Nimsoft and development was still in Norway.... great product, we switched from HP OpenView/NodeManager to Nimsoft. 
    Then the "road went only down", bought by CA, transfered Development back and forth around the globe, bad idea, lost lots of knowledge and spirit with that. Now with Broadcom is getting worse, the 20.3, is the worst version I ever experienced, even worse that the 7.x-Versions.
    We were once a reference customer in Germany at times of Nimsoft, and personally I would not recommend UIM if you seek a Monitoring-Software.
    Reads great in papers, but no dont expect too much, dont think it is the money worht at the moment.
    As told, read the threads of the last months to get a feeling how the situation is....

cheers
    Matthias

• 10.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 10, 2021 03:16 PM
    Edited by Felipe Ribeiro Soares Sep 13, 2021 08:49 AM

• 11.  RE: UIM Evaluation

Posted Sep 10, 2021 03:17 PM
    Edited by Felipe Ribeiro Soares Sep 13, 2021 08:49 AM