DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Weird NAS Alarm suppression behaviour

Posted Oct 16, 2019 03:17 AM
    Hi there,
    at a customer site I am encountering the following nas behaviours in test and prod:

In test:
    • when logmon sends an alarm because it found a pattern match, the corresponding alarm shows up in the IM alarm console,
    • when logmon encounters the pattern again, then the alarm goes away vor a second and then returns with a new timestamp, or it just assumes a new timestamp - but it doesn't increase the count.

In prod:
    • when the hub sends a queue contact loss alarm once a minute, then its count is increased correctly but after five minutes we get the same alarm anew and the old one vanishes. This is particularly painful as it leads to an email flood when you configure notification - even if you say you want the mail sent only for alarm counts less than 3...

It would actually be my understanding that, in usual configurations, in both cases nas would just increase the alarm count for the respective alarms. Am I not right with that?
    In both cases, I have checked the message bus with hub monitor sniffing and on this end, everything is OK.

So, what would be a good candidate for a "mis"configuration here (I haven't configured the system myself). Conflicting AO profiles? I have tried to get rid of this by playing around with the suppression settings in the NAS but to no avail.

I am really curious about this...

Any ideas?

Best
    Alex

------------------------------
    Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/alexander-kuehn/

• 2.  RE: Weird NAS Alarm suppression behaviour
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 16, 2019 09:49 AM
    it sounds like you have something doing auto close.
    Logmon by default will not clear any alarms.
    You will want to make sure the profile as the proper suppression key to make sure that NAS correlates the alarms from the profile.

You will need to review loglevel 5 nas logs to try and understand what is happening.
    if you have any scripts make sure you have logging of some type in all of them or if you close an alarm in a script it will not show in the nas.log

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom