DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Internet bandwidth utilization spiking up and generating the URL alerts

Posted May 26, 2020 08:54 AM
    Hello Community, Thanks for all your help in the past and right now I am facing one more issue.
    Currently we have seen multiple P2 URL alerts from url_response probe and later we got to know that it is causing because of internet bandwidth utilization.
    Whenever the internet bandwidth utilization is going up and traffic is busy then we are getting URL alerts with error code 6 (Couldn't resolve host name) and error code 7 (Couldn't connect to server). Once that is normal after 15 mins , then URLs started to giving http 200 OK response and alerts are clearing up.
    Please help if we can connect this and get rid of this URL alerts during that high traffic utilization of internet bandwidth.

• 2.  RE: Internet bandwidth utilization spiking up and generating the URL alerts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 08:57 AM
    Did you try updating the local hosts file with the entries for the remote systems so that a DNS query does not need to be done?
    The only other thing I can think of would be to increase your timeout settings.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Internet bandwidth utilization spiking up and generating the URL alerts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 09:08 AM
    By default DNS alarms are thrown if it takes longer than 20ms. This is too low for most of my customers. Most disable(leave it blank) and just collect qos or increase threshold. You can also increase load threshold from 8000ms. Check you qos collection over these times and see whats happening.

• 4.  RE: Internet bandwidth utilization spiking up and generating the URL alerts

Posted May 26, 2020 09:28 AM
    Thank you Gene and Gregg for your response. I would like to elaborate it more.
    Currently internet bandwidth utilization report is calculating from PRTG monitoring tool using SNMP configuration. If we can suppress the URL alerts whenever internet bandwidth utilization is high, then I will configure the same SNMP configuration in Nimsoft and go for that solution.

• 5.  RE: Internet bandwidth utilization spiking up and generating the URL alerts
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2020 09:49 AM
    So you are asking if there is a way to suppress alarms for URL whenever Utilization is high? You do have a schedule but it sounds like you do not care about Network issues in using the url_response but just whether the page loads(app running). You could put the probe directly on app server or closer to your app. You would need a nas routine to handle that logic otherwise...if I am understanding your ask. Maybe use another technique to monitor your app; logmon, jvmMonitor.

• 6.  RE: Internet bandwidth utilization spiking up and generating the URL alerts

Posted May 29, 2020 06:49 AM
    Thank you guys. I have got your point. :)

Currently Network team has told me that such behavior would be normal when Backup server is running and it is consuming more internet bandwidth and which leads to less internet bandwidth to Nimsoft server (where URL monitoring is happening). We have asked Network team to increase the bandwidth to avoid such instances.