DX Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Clone UIM Production environment for testing purposes

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Clone UIM Production environment for testing purposes

Posted 07-26-2019 05:05 PM
    Hello,

I am looking to clone our UIM Production environment to build a new Development environment. We are doing this to match all the OS and UIM application versions and patch levels super consistent. Also, looking to stand up new test environments as needed. Assuming my VM team can clone the Primary, Secondary, UMP, CABI and some Remote Hubs, is it possible to reconfigure the new environment in a safe way? Do you know what all UIM configs have to updated after the VM cloning? Things like old hostnames, IPs, etc would have to be changed in UIM config files (robot.cfg, hub.cfg, etc). Let me know those file names and their locations if you are aware.

Also, for database (MS SQL), my production database is of 1 TB size, so was thinking to copy a previous DB backup and then restore on a DEV database server. To cleanup/reduce the database size, I was thinking to delete all the QOS data tables (RN*, HN*, DN* and BN* tables). Thinking further, have to cleanup S_QOS_DATA, CM_NIMBUS*, CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM*  tables and others. Has anyone been able to successfully cleanup and reduce the database size successfully for a new test environment safely? Is it worth it or just build the test environment from scratch?

Thanks,

Ankur

• 2.  RE: Clone UIM Production environment for testing purposes
    Best Answer

Posted 07-29-2019 09:23 AM
    Cloning isn't something we would recommend as we would not be able to Support you.  We don't test for this.

It would be better and faster to build from scratch.  There are alot of things that can get you into trouble by cloning.

I am a former Systems Engineer and VMware Admin and have done quite a bit of this in the past on simple application servers.  UIM has a complex backend and this is not something I would take on and I have a good idea how to possibly do it.  The risk is just to great to not get it right and you will be chasing issues that our Support Teams can't help you with since this would not be a product issue.

------------------------------
    Customer Success Architect
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Clone UIM Production environment for testing purposes

Posted 08-06-2019 10:52 AM
    Thanks Jay for the information! It seems cloning in not a good option and will build the test environment from scratch.