DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

• 1.  Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Posted May 15, 2020 12:53 PM
    Hi everyone.

I need to change the hostname to 300 robots. Because the customer want see on the dashboard "Current Server Performance (Top 20)" other name, as name of the application from these servers.

I am testing change the robot name in controller probe in section Nimsoft > Robot Name > Set specific name (override): xxxxxx
    When i make this change, all look well, but at the metrics it keeps the old name, for this reason I apply to change at this section Misc > Quality of Service: (Set QoS source to robot name instead of computer hostname). So with this change now I see the hostname changed at "Current Server Performance (Top 20)".

When I check the device in USM i see that metrics it's lose. I think this happens because the metrics are colliding with each other with different source. I can solvent this issue, removing old metrics of the device via SLM > Database Status > Delete Object , but this caused that lost historic of the device. Or I can via SLM > Database Status > Merge Objects, but tis procedure is metric for metric.

Is possible with a query or something resolve the problem of metric with the change of the robot name? Any idea?

• 2.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2020 01:13 PM
      |   view attached
    not that is supported.
    but take a look at this attached SQL script.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Posted May 15, 2020 01:43 PM
    @Gene Howard Thank you very much for your answer. I will try with this procedure in my test environment.
    I have another question. This procedure help me that the source and target have the same name? ​ With the previous procedure that I indicated the source and target isn't the same.

• 4.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2020 03:52 PM
    So manipulating data directly in the tables is not supported.
    You can test in your dev and UAT updating the fields with SQL queries and see if the outcome is what you like.
    But if it does not work or causes a problem you will have to just delete the data.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Posted May 18, 2020 07:19 PM
    Edited by Miller Echagarreta May 18, 2020 07:26 PM
    Hi @Gene Howard I am testing the ​SQL script Merge QoS for Renamed Robot. In the step 6, the result isn't the expected.

I executed this steps ------>

1. Open the script in a text editor like Notepad++ and copy all contents

2. Open SQL Server Management Studio and log in to the NimsoftSLM database server

3. Right-click the NimsoftSLM database in the left-hand pane and select "New Query"

4. Paste the copied input from step 1 into the query window and click "Execute"

This is the result, the SP it's created -----> 

5. Run the script by using the following command:5. Run the script by using the following command:
    EXEC SP_QOS_MERGE_BY_HOST @src = 'old_robot_name', @dest = 'new_robot_name'

6. Review the output in the Message window to make sure the table ID's are being picked up.  These same ID's will be merged in later steps.

On this step 6, I can see table ID's the message indicate (Command(s) completed successfully.)

What am I doing bad?, I only changed the @src by old robot name and @dest by new robot name.

• 6.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2020 08:55 AM
    so this is what the SP is looking for.
    try running this and see what you get back
    select qos, robot, source, table_id, r_table, target from s_qos_data where robot = 'localhost.localdomain';

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Posted May 19, 2020 09:45 AM
    Edited by Miller Echagarreta May 19, 2020 09:49 AM
    Hi @Gene Howard Thanks for your help.

Does not return info ---->

If I try like this ----->

• 8.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2020 09:47 AM
    so then that is not the problem you have.
    we would need to see a sample of the data that is the problem to help.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Posted May 19, 2020 10:14 AM
    @Gene Howard I am try of simulate the behavior of the customer, where when I change the robot name the dashboard of server not show info. I thinked that happen because a server have in qos more than 1 source or target associated with a metric.

For simulate the behavior, install a robot in linux, i deploy cdm and capture data, Then I change the name of the robot of localhost.localdomain to srvtest-app01

If the problem isn't that a server have many source and target, why the dashboard not show info if I see metrics get for the robot. For example in the environment of the customer a server I see :

In server deshaborad ---->

​If I search for the server name changed, not appear ---->

• 10.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2020 10:24 AM
    so you have hidden the names so I can not tell you what is wrong or how to help.
    You will have to look at the data and determine what is needed.
    You might want to engage your  DBA to help you understand the SP provided and how it applies to your data.
    Without exact data I can not help determine the problem.
    Sorry.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 11.  RE: Change the hostname to 300 robots and not lose metrics

Posted May 19, 2020 11:00 AM
    Apology Gene, I hidden the names for reason security, my customer is a bank. I send to you the info private.