DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Process monitoring in CA UIM

• 1.  Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted May 30, 2020 02:47 AM
    Edited by amar kondraju May 30, 2020 02:59 AM
    Hi all,

Is it possible to monitor the required processes in all robots from hub itself instead of manually going through each robot and configuring it.

Is there any template or any way to do this required process monitoring in all robots at onego?  By default  I have in my usecase 4 processes need to be monitored in all robots. How to achieve this ?

How can I get this process as a template here in UMP so that I can monitor the processes at onego in all robots for specific groups I have created in UMP console. Please help me out.

Regards
    AMar

• 2.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted May 30, 2020 04:31 AM
    Hi all,

Can someone help me out please!! This is crucial requirement  for my environment.

Regards
    Amar

• 3.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2020 12:41 PM
    Hi Amar,

Download and deploy the processes_mcs_template to the Primary hub.

http://support.nimsoft.com/Files/Archive/00443/processes_mcs_templates-4.70-auto-migrate.zip 

Then select another node/group within USM to refresh the view, recheck the Monitoring Tab and then you'll see the templates show up.

Steve

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 4.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2020 12:51 PM
    For what you're trying to accomplish, to monitor a given set of processes on each system, MCS appears somewhat limited in scope. Outside of MCS, I would use IM to create profiles in the processes probe for each OS type, monitor the desired processes, then create processes probe templates via drag and drop to the local archive, and do it for OS-specific setups, e.g., processes_Windows<version> or processes_RHEL_<version>, etc. - use whatever naming convention makes sense. Then you can drag and drop the created packages to a Group of robots. SHow the Grops node in IM via Tools->Options in IM, then create and use Infrastructure Groups for different OS groupings in IM.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 5.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted Jun 01, 2020 05:34 AM
    Hi Stephen,

I would like to monitor the specific 4 to 5 processes in all the robots. This is my requirement.

Please let me know the way.

Regards
    Amar

• 6.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2020 09:09 AM
    Once you get the template Stephen pointed to you you should be able to create MSC monitoring profiles for all robots in a USM group. MCS processes template is not too intuitive if you are not sure of the processes you want but it sounds like you do. I usually look at the proc table of a robot using processes IM and test them (just dont make changes in IM if using MCS),move to MCS for mas deployment. Once you get the processes syntax or just name, then create a group in uSM. I think you want all robots regardless of OS so create a group with Bus Type robot or hub. then use the monitoring tab on that group.

• 7.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted Jun 01, 2020 10:51 AM
    So can you try to create a super package and prepare the cfx file with required processes

• 8.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2020 11:05 AM
    Yes but that is a different tactic all together. You could configure processes monitoring in IMGUI then drag anddrop to archive. this creates Config package where you can copy the <watcher> section of each process to create a config package. MCS should not be used in this UC.

• 9.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2020 10:13 AM
    Amar,

Here is a screen shot of the processes (Enhanced) template after deployment.

What 4-5 processes do you need to monitor? What are their names?

Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 10.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted Jun 02, 2020 05:43 AM
    Hi Stephen,

I want to monitor security processes like ds_am that show in servers .

Regards
    Amar

• 11.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted Jun 02, 2020 06:19 AM
    Hi Stephen,

But here I cannot give configuration for 4 to 5 processes !!! Please let me know whether MCS in USM will do the needful for my requirement of monitoring 4 processes in all robots. How to achieve this as it is showing only one profile name here.

• 12.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Posted Jun 02, 2020 06:32 AM
    Hi all,

I would like to monitor the specific 4 to 5 processes in all the robots. This is my requirement.

Please let me know the way exactly whether should I do it in IM console or UMP console?

IM console - explain how - can you write some sample cfx here for monitoring 4 to 5 processes?

• 13.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 08:11 AM
    So you specify a reference device and enter a logical profile name you create and then down further you add the file name. You can also add command plus arguments or full name. you will go through this screen 4 times for 4 process monitors. Here is the doc hope it helps.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/processes-process-monitoring/processes-mcs-profile-type-configuration.html

• 14.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 08:44 AM
    example. deployed setup processes, picked a reference Unix server and configured Process profile monitoring process crond.

• 15.  RE: Process monitoring in CA UIM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 12:49 PM
    Hi Amar,

If you choose NOT to use MCS, you can following these simple instructions to monitor 1 or more processes on a given machine.

Assuming that there is already an existing processes probe package deployed to the robot, you can use this process. If not, you can create a superpackage which contains multiple probe packages as well and use that instead.

My example configured profiles for crond, sshd and ps processes on a Linux machine.

a. Configure the processes probe profiles (Create Monitoring profiles), for the processes you want to monitor.

b.Test the process via the Test button to confirm it picks up a single process, Click Ok, then Ok again, then Yes to save the profile.

c.Drag and drop the process probe to the Primary Hub's local archive and Rename it. Give it a logical name for the package, e.g., processes_Linux_RHEL7.

d.Double click your newly created package to open it.

e.Rt-click the processes.cfx and choose "Save file as..." and save it to your Desktop.

f. Press Ctrl-F to find your added processes and delete all other entries but keep the <watchers> sections for the processes for which you created profiles.

For example,

<watchers> overwrite
    <crond> overwrite
    active = yes
    description = Monitoring crond
    action = none
    command = /usr/sbin/crond
    arguments = -n
    process = crond
    process_count_type =
    process_count =
    report = down
    etc
    etc
    etc
    </watchers>

g. Rt-click the existing processes.cfx in the probe package and delete it.

h. Rt-click and "Add File..." to Browse and select the new processes.cfx file from where you saved it on your Desktop. Note that you can enter a new Group name in the package, e.g., Custom, but that is Optional.

i. Click Ok.

j. Deploy the custom probe package to the robot.

k. During your first test of the package creation and deployment process, check to make sure the probe profiles were added (Check under the Profiles Tab). I deleted my profiles first in the probe on the system to make sure they were recreated/readded.

Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US