DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Posted Sep 25, 2020 08:13 AM
    Hello,

Have anybody already tried to install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS ?
    It does not seem to be possible as it keeps asking for location of temporary files although I specify the location.

Thanks
    P.

• 2.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2020 08:49 AM
    HI P.,

No have not tested and looks like not supported with that version, but...

Verify your user you are sudo'ing too has write and create permission to the temp dir. Saw this when I was sudo'ing to a "near" root-equiv ID on a different flavor. Try the "rpm" method of installation if not already. It may give better messages if so.

• 3.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Posted Sep 25, 2020 09:09 AM
    Thanks Gregg for your comments.
    Do you know how to install the robot using "rpm" ? Never tried that before.
    Is it simply unzip the "robot..." package and "rpm -ivh <PackageName>" to install it ?

• 4.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2020 09:45 AM
    The below page should have all the instructions you need. verify you are root "id -a".

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/installing/deploy-robots/deploy-robots-in-bulk-with-a-third-party-tool-and-native-installers.html#concept.dita_0a8774a85228cacaafdd38f772315ebb5396a759_DeployingtoLinuxLinux

• 5.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Posted Sep 25, 2020 12:24 PM
    As a precursor, do not contact support about what I am to suggest and understand that you do it at your own risk...

Anyway, it is sometimes possible to work around the version checking built into UIM. Especially in the Linux world there's a lot of forwards and backwards compatibility built into the various Linux versions but it's impossible for a vendor to test them all. So the result is that likely the software will work but may not make it past the list of versions tested.

The typical install of UIM makes checks in two places: first in the nimldr process and then later when installing packages the controller is asked to identify the installed version so that the package installer can identify which portions of the archive package should get invoked.

Getting around nimldr requires finding a supported and similar to your version of Linux to your desired destination. Just do the install on the compatible version, tar up the /opt/nimsoft directory, copy and unpack on your desired destination, recreate the startup script and you should be set. If this works then you'll likely be in good shape for the rest. Personally I've had pretty good success in doing this.

If it doesn't work, you will need to go the route of requesting an enhancement and waiting.

If it does work, you should see it show in AC/IM but likely you'll see issues with the version numbers reported. Don't worry about that, it comes with the territory of doing something that's not supported.

If you try to drag a package to the new system it will almost assuredly fail to install with a failure to find an applicable section or only a portion of the package will install.

Here you will need to make a copy of the desired package, and then delete all the unnecessary tabs - so if you are working on CDM and this is Linux, delete all the Solaris, HP, Windows, etc. tabs. Leave the generic and GUI tabs and the ones without any OS specification. Then for the remaining tabs, remove the OS matching criteria. You should be left with a package that will typically have 2 to 4 tabs with no criteria on any of them. Then try installing this. Removing the OS criteria will prevent the package installer from asking the controller what OS is running and getting in the way. Expect to need to make several attempts at this.

Again, remember that just because you coerced it to install there's no guarantee that it will work correctly and not damage your system. 

Make sure to test and do so on a system you don't care about. 

And don't call support when it doesn't work - it's not fair to Broadcom because they already told you via the support matrix not to do this.

If and when this works for you and later Broadcom adds support for this OS flavor you will have a problem upgrading this server because it's still not going to know how to identify the currently running OS. To easily get around that, you can copy and edit the new robot_update package that supports your previously unsupported OS version same as outlined above and install that. If that's successful you will be left with a Frankensteined system that finally knows how to identify the running OS version. Now you can go back and use the unmodified GA robot_update package to restore this system to a configuration that should be consistent again.

And did I say don't call support when it doesn't work - it's not fair to Broadcom because they already told you via the support matrix not to do this.

• 6.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Posted Sep 25, 2020 04:55 PM
    Hi Garin,
    I've tried to do modify the original probe by removing all the tabs that are OS related and deployed the 'modified' probe (e.g. cdm) several time but I still don't see it.

Have you any idea why ?

Thanks
    P.

• 7.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Posted Sep 25, 2020 04:52 PM
    Edited by PhN Sep 25, 2020 04:52 PM
    I was able to install and run the robot after having some trouble to enable the "nimbus" service which I managed to do it now.
    Thanks Gregg
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-25-2020 09:44 AM
    Subject: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

The below page should have all the instructions you need. verify you are root "id -a".

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/installing/deploy-robots/deploy-robots-in-bulk-with-a-third-party-tool-and-native-installers.html#concept.dita_0a8774a85228cacaafdd38f772315ebb5396a759_DeployingtoLinuxLinux
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-25-2020 09:08 AM

Thanks Gregg for your comments.
    Do you know how to install the robot using "rpm" ? Never tried that before.
    Is it simply unzip the "robot..." package and "rpm -ivh <PackageName>" to install it ?
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-25-2020 08:49 AM

HI P.,

No have not tested and looks like not supported with that version, but...

Verify your user you are sudo'ing too has write and create permission to the temp dir. Saw this when I was sudo'ing to a "near" root-equiv ID on a different flavor. Try the "rpm" method of installation if not already. It may give better messages if so.
    Original Message:
    Sent: 09-25-2020 08:12 AM

Hello,

Have anybody already tried to install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS ?
    It does not seem to be possible as it keeps asking for location of temporary files although I specify the location.

Thanks
    P.

• 8.  RE: Can't install robot 9.20 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Posted Oct 23, 2020 01:22 PM
    Hi Philong,

Can you please let me know how you enable the nimbus service?

I have the same issue and don't want to downgrade or wait for official support.

Thanks in advance,

Marco