DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  dirscan $file variable not working

Posted Oct 23, 2019 12:56 AM

Hi All,

I'm using dirscan v3.17 probe on UIM 8.5.1.
    I'm simply trying to monitor an empty folder and alert when a file appears in that folder. In the alarm details I would like to know the name of the file.

According to documentation:

"$file: Returns the name of the file or the file name pattern, which the probe is monitoring in the monitoring profile. If there are more than one file, it returns the array of file names and the probe executes the command for that number of times."
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/dirscan-file-and-directory-scan/v3-1-dirscan-im-configuration/v3-1-dirscan-im-gui-reference

So in the Message Pool, I've added $file in the alarm "FileNumberAlarm" thinking that will show the name of the file.
    However, it simply adds an asterick which it's getting from the Pattern field.

According to this support case, it's supposed to be "by design" which makes no sense. The probe GUI won't let you leave that Pattern field blank.
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=67511

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Max.

• 2.  RE: dirscan $file variable not working

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2019 09:49 AM
    I believe there is currently a document defect for the $file variable:
    Current:
    $file: Returns the name of the file or the file name pattern, which the probe is monitoring in the monitoring profile. If there are more than one file, it returns the array of file names and the probe executes the command for that number of times.

What it should be:
    $file: Returns the name of the file or the file name pattern, which the probe is monitoring in the monitoring profile. 

I have requested the document team to correct this at this time.
    if you would like to see this changed please do open an enhancement request.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: dirscan $file variable not working

Posted Oct 23, 2019 06:36 PM
    Thanks Gene,

So regardless of the document defect, how can I get the name of the file to be included in the alarm details?
    How is the $file variable supposed to be used or for what scenario is it designed to be used?

Cheers,
    Max.