DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

• 1.  Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 10:48 AM
    With the announcement of UIM v20.1 this morning, does anyone see it on the support site?

------------------------------
    Daniel Blanco
    Enterprise Tools Team Architect
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 2.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:05 AM
    Shows up for me. 

Are you using a saved link? 
    Perhaps refresh, clear the browser history, type stuff will get it to show up for you. 

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:15 AM
    Hey Dave, nope that's not it.. Tried full browser history cache clean up and no. Still just see 9.x.

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 4.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:11 AM
    Daniel,

I don't see the download link either.  I have refreshed and cleared browser history.  Have you had any success yet?

RJ

• 5.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:23 AM
    Hey RJ!, No I still don't see it.

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 6.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 04:00 PM
    Downloading now, but really slow (too many people watching Netflix I think), had to go into specific iso image before I "saw" the new version

Knows a little about UIM/DXim, AE, Automic

• 7.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:30 AM
    Where did you see an announcement?

• 8.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:37 AM
    Email from "The AIOps Product Team"

March 23, 2020

On behalf of CA Technologies, a Broadcom Company, we appreciate your business and the opportunity to provide you with high-quality, innovative software and services. As part of our ongoing commitment to customer success, we regularly release updated versions of our products. Today, we are pleased to announce that Unified Infrastructure Management Release 20.1.is now available. 

Key capabilities included in this release are:

• Enhanced Operator Console for observability 
    • Enhanced reliability of Monitoring Configuration Service (MCS) via real time deployment dashboard along with additional REST APIs for programming.
    • Platform certification for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.x, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15.x and Windows Server 2019 along with support for Oracle Database 19c (19.3) as UIM data store.
    • Improved UIM hub, robots security with client side certificate support over LDAP
    • Richer integration with the AIOps solution for machine learning and AI-driven root cause analysis for alarm noise reduction, business service analytics, automated remediation and out-of-the-box DX dashboards.
    • Comprehensive inclusion of defect fixes, stability enhancements and performance improvements across all layers of deployment

Visit the latest microsite for Unified Infrastructure Management. We also encourage you to look at the product information page at Broadcom Support Portal.

Download Unified Infrastructure Management Release 20.1 software from Broadcom Support Portal. To get started, follow the installation and/or upgrade procedures from Tech Docs. If you have any questions or require assistance, please feel free contact support using Broadcom's case management system. Kindly do review the End of Service / End of Life Policy within the "Working with Broadcom Support"  guide.

Should you need any further assistance in understanding the newest capabilities, or implementing this release, our implementation services partners will be glad to help. Please contact your Broadcom account representative for more information. To connect, learn and share with other customers, join and participate in our DX Infrastructure Manager Global User Community.

For a list of Education courses recommended by role, please visit the Broadcom Enterprise Software Learning Paths. Courses are updated based on functional impact as well as high-demand; therefore, courses created from previous releases may apply to the current release.

Thank you again for your business.

Sincerely,

The AIOps Product Team
    Broadcom

They are also EOL'ing UIM v8.x across the board starting on March 20th 202 which already passed:

March 23, 2020

CA Technologies, a Broadcom Company is continually working to improve our software and services to best meet the needs of our customers. In accordance with the End of Service / End of Life Policy within the "Working with Broadcom Support" guide, please consider this email your written notification that we are discontinuing technical support for Unified Infrastructure Management 8.5, 8.5.1 and 8.5.3 effective March 20, 2020. This will allow our Development organization to more effectively focus its resources and add value to the next release of Unified Infrastructure Management.  

At this time, we encourage you to plan for the migration to Unified Infrastructure Management 20.1 as soon as possible so you can take full advantage of the features and enhancements this release has to offer. For more information, please visit the microsite for Unified Infrastructure Management and we also encourage you to look at the product information page at Broadcom Support Portal.

As CA Technologies, a Broadcom Company would like to make your upgrade to Unified Infrastructure Management 20.1 as straightforward as possible, we are offering the following:

• The latest supported Version/Release of Unified Infrastructure Management, at no charge, as long as you have an active maintenance contract for Unified Infrastructure Management. Documentation to help you prepare for your upgrade to the new Version/Release can be viewed on the Unified Infrastructure Management pages at Tech Docs.
    • Accelerated time-to-value when you engage CA Services to assist you with any or all parts of your upgrade. Broadcom Support complements our services team by providing upgrade support services to help ensure your success. Upgrade support services provides 24x7 access to Broadcom Support and direct access during business hours to a designated support resource who will provide support on the End of Service version from upgrade start to finish, and for 30 days after your upgrade is complete.  Please contact your Broadcom account representative to receive a quote for such services.
    • Upgrade assistance from qualified local CA partners.  For more information and a list of partners in your area, please contact your local CA Channel Partner Group office, (https://www.broadcom.com/company/partners/ca-technologies).

CA Extended Support, a Broadcom Support offering, that extends support for CA Technologies software product versions or releases that have reached End of Service. CA Extended Support may be available for a limited time after the End of Service date. Please note however, that in most cases Upgrade support services will provide a more cost effective and valued approach than CA Extended Support alone.  Please visit Broadcom Support Portal for more information.

Sincerely,

The AIOps Product Team
    Broadcom

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 9.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:48 AM
    Just FYI to get these emails, under you support portal page, go to My Tools > Subscription and check off everything you want to be alerted, notified on.

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 10.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:53 AM
    Dan, 

Does 'DX Infrastructure Management MULTI-PLATFORM' show up in your list of downloads? 

See my image above (click it for full size).

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 11.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 12:07 PM
    Hi Dave,
    No I don't have a "DX....." entry.. Just the CA UIM...... 

None of them have the 20.1 entry.

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 12.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 12:19 PM
    Someone else opened a case on it, so no idea how wide spread the problem is but you are not alone, and so this is being looked into.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 13.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 01:04 PM
    What's even stranger for me is that with this announcement I got an EOS for 8.5.x starting with the 20th of this month. 

To my knowledge there was no prior notice of such a development, so it would be rather strange to get directly EOS notification. 

Anyone care to comment on that?

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 14.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 01:19 PM
    I received a similar announcement - for the first email on a subject to be three days after it happened isn't especially swift. Granted there's probably a document somewhere that actually lays out 3/20/2020 as the date but....

And I also don't get the software download:

• 15.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 01:20 PM
    I thought we had a year or so before 8.5.x went EOL.

• 16.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 01:22 PM
    Maybe it's a typo and they meant 2021?
    IDK..
    Broadcom can the UIM Product Manager (if he/she exists) respond here... 

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 17.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 23, 2020 04:30 PM
      |   view attached
    Got it to work with this

Knows a little about UIM/DXim, AE, Automic

• 18.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 05:45 PM
    Option is now there for me too.

Would have been nice if upgrading from something older than 9.0.2 was supported.

And is the "DX Infrastructure Management" name dead again? The docs are calling "Nimsoft" "Unified Infrastructure Management (UIM)" again.

• 19.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 05:56 PM
    Garin,

From the perspective of just a support tech, it seems the naming thing was in part a result of some uncertainty resulting from a few different things. 

The way it seems to have worked out the idea is (again as it seems to me):
    UIM = same old 
    DX IM = data source for OI  

We 'might' see a distinction in the product later on in 20.3.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 20.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 24, 2020 09:36 AM
    Hi Andrew, ok that method worked. Going into the product and then I could see the 20.1 release. 

Also today looks like it was updated as I see the 20.1 release is on the main UIM product download page. 

Thanks. 

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 21.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 23, 2020 06:07 PM
    Unified Infrastructure Management 8.5, 8.5.1 and 8.5.3 End of Service Announcement March 20, 2020. Could someone please clarify on this ? Is it suppose to be 2021?

• 22.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 07:08 AM
    So CA/Broadcom policy has been we supported GA -2. So when a new version comes out the older versions fall off at the release.
    Currently, that would be the GA version to 20.1, 9.20 9.02.
    This would mean that 8.5x is EOL.
    Normally a notice is sent out with the release of upcoming EOL when a new release is done.
    So when 9.02 was released a notice should have been sent on the EOL of the 8.5x versions.

This is being looked into currently by management.

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 23.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 24, 2020 07:43 AM
    Edited by Catalin Farcasanu Mar 24, 2020 07:44 AM
    Gene, base on you statement, I as a customer, should know in advance the future release dates for all software that CA/Broadcom sells, so I should prepare in advance for such a situation in which I would remain without support for my installation. I have several customers that still use 8.5.1, cause 9.0.2 was all buggy and 9.2.0 was released soon after.

Now these are out of support ol of the sudden? with no previous notice? This does not sound good to business no matter how to look at it.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 24.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 07:47 AM
    I agree and our support management is currently reviewing this.
    As soon as there is a determination made we will update everyone.

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 25.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 24, 2020 01:00 PM
    Also if you could pass on to product mgt, if I look at 8.x, 9,x, and 20.x, I don't really see anything in the product that supports changing the initial main version number. One might be able to argue that adding the secure hub functionality does but that's not something most people are going to use.

And with the current versioning, doesn't that imply that versioning is going to be year based?

And GA -2 would be 20.x, 9.x, and 8.x - latest versions of each following industry practice - 

9.20 was just a fix to 9.0 to add support for OpenJDK by the release notes. It's not a real release.

• 26.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 25, 2020 06:28 PM
    Does this mean support is still available for 8.5x versions in the mean time, we will be severely impacted by this sudden EOS. Though we are already working on the upgrade plan we need to completely rethink about the timelines because of this announcement

• 27.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 26, 2020 04:14 AM
    My contact tells me it's still supported, but anything that requires involvement from engineering or enhancements will not be covered.

But I'm not sure if that applies to vanilla UIM, or if we're supported because we consume UIM as part of the Cloud Service Delivery Platform.

• 28.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Apr 01, 2020 10:37 AM
    Hello,
    It's been a week already, any news on this? Some of my customers are already raising concerns on this.
    Especially after I received this message in one of the cases we have open: 
    "I'll review the documents you sent but also, I'd like to let you know that you are running an UIM version that isn't supported anymore :

• 29.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 25, 2020 03:49 AM
    Edited by Daniel Enchev Mar 25, 2020 05:07 AM
    HI all,

Anyone to provide some information what stands for the different distributions on the product download page? Looking at images in links, but they all seem to point to same ISO versions. Bit confused here, maybe I am missing something.

CA Unified Infrastructure Mgmt Big Data Pack - On Prem MULTI-PLATFORM
    CA Unified Infrastructure Mgmt Server and Application Pack - On Prem MULTI-PLATFORM
    CA Unified Infrastructure Mgmt SNMP Collector FOC for SysEdge migration MULTI-PLATFORM
    CA Unified Infrastructure Mgmt Server Pack - On Prem MULTI-PLATFORM
    CA Unified Infrastructure Mgmt Service Response Time Adv Pack - On Prem MULTI-PLATFORM

20.1 0000 Unified Infrastructure Manager r20.1 Windows Installer includes UMPDVD500000000002605.iso Mar 19 2020 12:06PM
    20.1 0000 Unified Infrastructure Manager r20.1 Release notesINS500000000002602.pdf Mar 19 2020 2:47AM
    20.1 0000 Unified Infrastructure Manager r20.1 Linux Installer includes UMPDVD500000000002606.iso Mar 19 2020 1:39PM

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

• 30.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 25, 2020 08:09 AM
    Yes they do all point to the same three files, and not sure but someone said it is related to sales some how. So that might change later on. 

As your image shows when you click on one of the items it shows three files and lets you download what you want. This is a good thing since you may not need the Linux installer, or may find it easier to download two 4+ gig files rather than one large 9 gig. Most of what's in the pdf is also in the release notes at the doc pages.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 31.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 25, 2020 08:15 AM
    Thanks David for feedback. Yes, it's true it's comfortable to download Win/Linux pack instead of whole image.
    I tried to find some information about these different distributions, but was not able. And it's seems they all point to very same packages. Might be something that is currently in progress.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,

• 32.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 25, 2020 11:24 AM
    Support trying to explain to support Download Admin the builds are all the same...
    Image result for always sunny trying to explain

Daniel Blanco
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 33.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 26, 2020 06:46 AM
    "please consider this email your written notification that we are discontinuing technical support for Unified Infrastructure Management 8.5, 8.5.1 and 8.5.3 effective March 20, 2020"

I'd still like to know if the above is a typo and they mean March 2021

Otherwise I'm not amused .... still have customers running 8.5.1 and we're currently flooded as it is due to COVID-19. Not a good moment to do quick upgrades with customers

Mark

• 34.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:05 PM
    I understand that the new numbering scheme will be year and quarter (20.1 = Q1 of 2020) to align with the other product sprints and releases.  Does this mean that Broadcom is going to release updates to UIM at a quarterly rate going forward?  Three years passed between the 8.0 and 8.51 releases. If they are now planning to release faster than that cycle, then the way the official support of "GA-2, current release plus the last 2 revisions" is handled will need to change.  Clearly, nobody here will be doing full upgrades of UIM every 6-9 months.  Especially, since it takes at least that long for all of us (working closely with support!!!) to work through the bugs with each new release until it is actually stable enough to push into production.  Many of us don't even start planning our production upgrades until the upgrade is considered viable because we never know when that is going to be. 

Is there any update from the management team who is reviewing this??

Chris

• 35.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Posted Mar 27, 2020 01:57 PM
    Can someone explain the upgrade path to me please? 
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/unified-infrastructure-management/20-1/installing/product-compatibility/supported-upgrade-paths.html

It states that you can upgrade UIM Server from 9.02 directly to 20.1, but the UMP version has to be at 9.20 to upgrade to 20.1.   Is this a mistake on the site? 

Unified Infrastructure Management (UIM)
    • UIM 9.2.0 to UIM 20.1.0
    • UIM 9.1.0 to UIM 20.1.0
    • UIM 9.0.2 to UIM 20.1.0

Unified Management Portal (UMP)
    • UMP 9.2.0 to UMP 20.1
    • UMP 9.1.0 to UMP 9.2.0
    • UMP 9.0.2 to UMP 9.2.0
    • UMP 9.0.2 to UMP 9.1.0
    • UMP 8.51 SP1 to UMP 9.0.2

• 36.  RE: Is UIM v20.1 out yet?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 08:04 AM
    Hi Larry,

I think the UMP portion of the doc didn't get updated.  You can use the same upgrade path as the UIM one.

Unified Infrastructure Management (UIM) and UMP.
    • UIM 9.2.0 to UIM 20.1.0
    • UIM 9.1.0 to UIM 20.1.0
    • UIM 9.0.2 to UIM 20.1.0

Customer Success Architect
    Broadcom