DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

• 1.  How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:05 AM
    Hello, 

I've built a brand new infrastructure "UIM core, UMP, Sub hub" on new servers in a different location AWS cloud. The question now is how to move/migrate all the configurations from my old infrastructure version 8.5.1?

In addition,

1- UMP has nothing at all.

2- Archive doesn't have all the packages and whatever is there with status OK(no web archive connection)

3- License under Archive are at Auto generated status except the nimbus one I was able to copy our license string.

there are other things as well so I need to resolve these issues as we are planning on shutting down the old data center very soon.

I really appreciate your help here with the order of the steps needed to accomplish this!

Thanks!

Hany Abadir

• 2.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:13 AM
    HI.

Is the new install the same version as the old install?
    if so you could backup your database from one location and restore it to the new server.
    If you have two different version there is no way to move anything in the database between versions.

Most configurations are stored in an individual probe .cfg files

In addition,

1- UMP has nothing at all.
    Answer: you need to be more specific? UMP really does not have any configuration other than the page setup.

2- Archive doesn't have all the packages and whatever is there with status OK(no web archive connection)
    Answer: you can deactivate the distsrv and ADE on the current one zip up the Nimsoft directory. move it to the new server and deactivate the same probe and replace the archive directory and then activate the two probe.

3- License under Archive are at Auto-generated status except for the nimbus one I was able to copy our license string.
    answer: copy your licenses from the other location.
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=34678
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=71940
    https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=9680

there are other things as well so I need to resolve these issues as we are planning on shutting down the old data center very soon.

I really appreciate your help here with the order of the steps needed to accomplish this!

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:29 AM
    Thanks Gene, 
    They are different versions. new one is 9.0.2 and the old one is 8.5.1
    Should I just uninstall 9.0.2 and install 8.5.1 then once everything is back up and working, I can upgrade?
    any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hany Abadir

• 4.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:39 AM
    if you are short on time that is what I would suggest
    get the move done first and make sure it is working the way you expect THEN plan an upgade.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:47 AM
    Yes I'm short on time. So to be clear..
    1- uninstall 9.0.2
    2- Install 8.5.1
    3- copy old database to the new database "should I have the same exact user names and passwords?
    4- copy Nimsoft directory from the old core and UMP to the new ones.

Is that correct?

Thanks!
    Hany

• 6.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:57 AM
    Make sure to install the 8.51 with the exact same database name, Domain hub and robot name as the old one to make your life easier
    you do NOT want to copy the Nimsoft directory over as this will cause a problem with the md5 check causing it to fail.
    The database username and password do not have to be the same as there should be no reason to restore the data_engine.cfg

The only files I would suggest restoring are the hub.cfg, nas.cfg and nas/scripts folder, distsrv.cfg and the archive folder.
    if you have done modifications to other .cfg on the primary you can move those as well.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:08 PM
    Do I need to install 8.5 then upgrade to 8.5.1?
    We will keep the same domain, but server names will be different???

Also, you mentioned before to zip the Nimsoft directory over..

Answer: you can deactivate the distsrv and ADE on the current one zip up the Nimsoft directory. move it to the new server and deactivate the same probe and replace the archive directory and then activate the two probe.  

Thanks!

Hany Abadir

• 8.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:12 PM
    if they are not going to be the exact same then follow @Jason Allen below recommendation.

​moving the archive should not be a problem.
    the files in the directory will be read in when the distsrv and ade startup.
    it sounds as if you new installation does not have internet access to the web archive (no web archive connection)
    so you will have to plan to download new packages manually and import them into the archive

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:00 PM
    I would recommend a sequence as follows:

1- copy/import the existing database to a database server at the new location. you do not need to use the same usernames/passwords as long as the new users on the database server will have appropriate access to the database.
    2- uninstall your 9.0.2 from the new server.
    3- On the new server, install 8.51 - when prompted during the 8.51 installation, you can choose "use existing database" and now you can provide the location for your new database server.  This will install a new copy of UIM pointing to your new copy of the old Database.
    4- Now you can install a fresh UMP in the new environment and it will be using the existing database, so your old UMP Reports/etc should be present. Some custom layouts might not be preserved but things like custom dashboards and performance reports should still be accessible.

Once the new 8.51 UIM/UMP is up and running then you can upgrade it to 9.0.2 in place.

• 10.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:17 PM
    Jason, 
    Do I need to install 8.5 then update to 8.5.1?
    One I installed 8.5.1 , do I need to copy Nimsoft directory from the old server? 

How about the sub hubs, etc.

Thanks!

Hany Abadir

• 11.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:21 PM
    just 8.51

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 12.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:40 PM
    Do you know by any chance the media name? ISOXXXXX?? Or do you have a link for the Linux version?
    For some reason, I don't see it on my support site. just version 9.02 and 9.20.

Thanks!

Hany Abadir

• 13.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:37 PM
    You can start with 8.51 - no need to do 8.5.

Generally speaking if you are going to move JUST the UIM Primary hub, and not move the database, etc, then you can back up the /Nimsoft folder, move it to the new location, and THEN install 8.51 - this will install the product but preserve the files within the /Nimsoft folders (probe configurations, hub configs, etc) so you will have a primary hub that exactly mirrors the old one - still pointing to the old database, still with the same servername, etc.

However, since you are moving the entire UIM/UMP/DB it probably makes more sense to simply copy over /Nimsoft/Archive/ after the fact, and then if there are any individual probe configurations from the primary (net_connect, cdm, for example) you can copy those .cfg files as needed over to the new system.

• 14.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:46 PM
    So you are saying to stick with the original plan you have mentioned earlier and then copy over the nimsoft/archive.

right?
    again, do you recall 8.51 media name or how can I download it? my support site for some reason has just 9.0.2 and 9.2.0

Thanks!

Hany Abadir

• 15.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 12:58 PM
    Edited by Jason Allen Oct 04, 2019 12:59 PM
    Hi,

Unfortunately 8.51 is not available for download anymore so if you do not have a local copy of the installers, then your best bet might be instead to upgrade the existing location to 9.0.2 and then move it after the fact (using the same process).

For more information see Oracle JDK Notifications
    Broadcom remove preview
    Oracle JDK Notifications
    Oracle JDK Notifications
    View this on Broadcom >
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/product-content/status/announcement-documents/2019/oracle-jdk-notifications.html

and 

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=135805&_ga=2.268264651.496806875.1569858561-702417906.1552562830

• 16.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 05, 2019 08:16 AM
    One thing that's worth a try is to copy the existing 8.51 directory structure and database to the new location and then run the 9.0.2 installer and treat it like an upgrade. About the only real thing the installer does to Windows is to create the service. Most of the rest of the upgrade process inspects what's in the directory structure to figure out the upgrade path and will act accordingly. Also, most of the probe perform their own upgrades at startup or worst case, if you can get the hub and distsrv running, you can re-deploy the packages. Also, as scary as the upgrade process is made to seem by the warnings from the installers, you can generally run them over and over without much trouble. 

I've done this several times to generate test systems to vette out upgrades and whatnot and not run into any significant issues. Just need to go into it knowing that you might need to throw some work away.

-Garin

• 17.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 05, 2019 09:01 AM
    The new location has 9.0.2 installed. Are you saying uninstall it then copy 8.5.1 nimsoft directly to the core UIM, UMP, DB etc. then run 9 .0.2 upgrade to the new location??
    --

Thanks!

Hany Abadir
    Sr. Monitoring Engineer
    WEX Inc.
    97 Darling Avenue, So. Portland, ME 04106
    Office (480) 258-7453  

hany.abadir@wexinc.com  www.wexinc.com WebEx Link

Upcoming PTO: September 30. 

This e-mail communication (including any attachments) is intended only for use by the individual or entity named above and is considered confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you should immediately stop reading this message and delete it from your system.  Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying or other use of this communication (or its attachments) is strictly prohibited.

• 18.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 07, 2019 11:24 AM
    No need to uninstall what's there - just overwrite the files on disk with a copy of the older 8.51 files.

Then rerun the 9.0.2 installer.

I'm not saying it's 100% true but in all cases I've done this, the installer doesn't care what version is actually installed - it looks at the files on disk and information in the database and figures out from that what's installed. Then it acts accordingly.

So if you installed 9.0.2, then overwrote it with the files and database from 8.51, when you run the installer, it will behave like 8.51 was always installed.

And even if it doesn't, it will re-deploy all the 9.0.2 files which will effectively achieve the same thing.

• 19.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 22, 2019 11:24 AM

Thanks!

Hany Abadir
    Sr. Monitoring Engineer
    WEX Inc.
    97 Darling Avenue, So. Portland, ME 04106
    Office (480) 258-7453  

hany.abadir@wexinc.com  www.wexinc.com WebEx Link

Upcoming PTO: October 17th. 

This e-mail communication (including any attachments) is intended only for use by the individual or entity named above and is considered confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you should immediately stop reading this message and delete it from your system.  Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying or other use of this communication (or its attachments) is strictly prohibited.

• 20.  RE: How to migrate configuration and customized files to a new UIM 9.0.2 Infrastructure

Posted Oct 22, 2019 11:27 AM
    Hello again, 
    So I went ahead and tried to follow the instructions below.. copied the db to the new instance, reinstalled the core hub using 8.5.1 version and sub hub as well.Few issues:I cannot get the sub-hub to connect to the core hub in the same domain.. I get connected for few mins and disappear
    - Here is what I see in the core hub log: TSESS could not connect to tunnel
    - Here is what I see in the sub hub log:Oct 22 14:49:36:012 [140491995375360] hub: CTRL WEX-CORE001-AWS-UIMAPP could not connect to server 10.94.5.101/48003
    Oct 22 14:50:02:015 [140494105990912] hub: ssl_server_wait - SSL_accept error (1) on new SSL connection: 10.94.5.101
    Oct 22 14:50:02:015 [140494105990912] hub:    [1] error:0x14094418:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert unknown ca
    Oct 22 14:50:06:008 [140491986982656] hub: ssl_connect - connect to '10.94.5.101' failed (111)
    Oct 22 14:50:06:008 [140491986982656] hub: TSESS could not connect to tunnel 10.94.5.101 (-2) 
    So when I login to the infrastructure manager using the core hub IP, I only see the core hub and the db server. and If I login using the sub hub IP, I only see the sub hub only.
    I don't believe it's a firewall issue though as it makes the connection for a few mins.

***Another issue: While trying to install the UMP unified report it complains about existing schema..if I chose to select a new one I will lose all data already stored right? so please adviseThe schema/catalog you selected already has JasperServer and/or Quartz tables
    defined. This schema/catalog must be cleaned before it can be populated.

Thanks!

Hany Abadir