DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to know if a notification email alarm was sending

Posted Mar 22, 2020 12:25 AM
    Hi guys,

I configured NAS in order to send emails for alarms raised. But I need to know if there is a log file or some way to know if the emails were send when an alarm was raised. Because the client is asking me to probe that the emails were send by NAS. The NAS send email to me an another person when the alarm was raised, but the other persons that must be notified said that the email for them not arraived.

I hope you can help me.

Regards

Jose

• 2.  RE: How to know if a notification email alarm was sending
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2020 06:07 AM
    Hi,
    You are probably  using the emailgtw probe to actually send the emails.you can set the loglevel  to 5 and then monitor this log.
    But this will only tell you that the email was sent to your smtp server, nothing  past that.
    Anything past that you will need to check with your email administrator.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: How to know if a notification email alarm was sending

Posted Mar 22, 2020 11:25 AM

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the help and for the answer.

Regards

Jose

• 4.  RE: How to know if a notification email alarm was sending

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2020 12:34 PM
    In addition to what Gene mentioned, you can perform a manual test of sending an email message from the Primary hub where the emailgtw is deployed, TO the user that didn't receive the mail, and the results from the cmd line should show you what is wrong (e.g., an SMTP error).

See:
    https://www.netadmintools.com/telnet-smtp-test

Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 5.  RE: How to know if a notification email alarm was sending

Posted Mar 22, 2020 01:28 PM

Hi Stephen,

Thnaks for the info and the help. The probe its working well and the SMTP service its working well too. Just the client ask for evidence (from UIM) that the email to other persons (client emails) besides monitoring persons (to us the mail arrives without any problem) were sending.

Regards

Jose

• 6.  RE: How to know if a notification email alarm was sending

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2020 02:00 PM
    Set the loglevel to 5, but also set the logsize to a higher number than the default, e.g., set it to 50000, then while you have the emailgtw log open, test sending an email to the user by sending a test alarm via the nas Status Tab via Rt -Click->Send test alarm using a string, that triggers the EMAIL action. Send an email to yourself first to test it, then send it to the user in question, Check the log for errors or SUCCESS for the user's email address. That will provide good proof that emails can be sent out successfully without any issues. For previous alarms, as Gene mentioned, you'll have to check with your mail admin to gain proof via the mail logs that the email notifications in question were actually sent.

Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US