DX Infrastructure Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Moving UIM Server install to new environment

• 1.  Moving UIM Server install to new environment

Posted 16 days ago

Hello,

We are in the process of moving our UIM installation (20.1) to a new set of servers, due to a change in company hosting environment.

Firstly, I backed up the CA_UIM database and restored this to the new server running SQL Server. So far so good.

Then, I shut down UIM and made a copy of the Nimsoft-folder. I moved this to the new UIM server and placed it in the "program files (x86)" folder.

I changed the IP-adress to the new sql server in the data_enginge config

I then proceeded to run the 20.1 installation. But here I encountered a problem. 

I get to the point where the installation starts to configure the automated_deployment_engine probe. This operation fails after 5 minutes. The installation-log reads:

2020-11-10 15:41:58,251 WARN probe.ProbeController:waitForResponse:245 [Thread-37] - nametoip failed: (4) not found, Received status (4) on response (for sendRcv) for cmd = 'nametoip' name = 'automated_deployment_engine'
    2020-11-10 15:42:00,762 ERROR probe.ProbeController:waitForResponse:256 [Thread-37] - Failed to communicate with probe 'automated_deployment_engine' in the allotted time.
    2020-11-10 15:42:00,762 ERROR impl.UIMServerConfigureController:run:477 [Thread-37] - NimException caught
    (6) permission denied, Failed to communicate with probe 'automated_deployment_engine' in the allotted time of 300 secs.
    at com.nimsoft.install.nimcommon.probe.ProbeController.waitForResponse(ProbeController.java:257)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.waitForProbeToRespondCommon(UIMServerConfigureController.java:3290)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.waitForProbeToRespondCommon(UIMServerConfigureController.java:3276)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.configureAde(UIMServerConfigureController.java:1423)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at com.nimsoft.install.nimcommon.method.NimMethodCallback.invokeMethod(NimMethodCallback.java:532)
    at com.nimsoft.install.nimcommon.method.NimMethodCallback.invokeMethod(NimMethodCallback.java:516)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.doConfigure_postNMSStartupPackages(UIMServerConfigureController.java:530)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.doConfigure(UIMServerConfigureController.java:491)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.run(UIMServerConfigureController.java:475)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The weird thing is that before I start the installation, the controller-config says:

<environment>
    NIM_JRE_HOME = jre/jre8u232b09
    NIM_JRE_HOME_1_8 = jre/jre8u232b09
    TNS_ADMIN =
    </environment>

But sometime during the installation it changes to:

<environment>
    NIM_JRE_HOME = jre/jre8u252b09
    NIM_JRE_HOME_1_8 = jre/jre8u252b09
    TNS_ADMIN =
    </environment>

This directory does not exist. Don't know if this is related to the issue with the automated_deployment_engine.

Any body have any idea about what I could do to get past this issue?

Regards

Espen

• 2.  RE: Moving UIM Server install to new environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 16 days ago

did you correct your robot.cfg and hub.cfg for the hub and robotip address for the new server?
    Set the controller loglevel to 3 and logsize to 5000 and set the ADE loglevel to 5 and logsize to 35000 and try restarting the nimbus service and check the logs.

Under the Nimsoft folder, you should have a JRE folder and then the JREXXXXXXX version.
    If not, it does not sound like you copied the entire nimsoft directory structure before moving it.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Moving UIM Server install to new environment

Posted 11 days ago

Hi,

Yeah, I corrected the configs with the new IP address and name.

The JREXXXXXX-folder is also present. The weird thing was that I was getting different errors during the install. Sometimes it faild setting up security. Sometimes on configuring ADE etc. 

I couldn't figure out why, but maybe it had something to do with the fact that my old install was a 9.2 upgraded to 20.1?

Anyway, I managed to work around the problem by just doing a clean install using the existing DB. I then copied the contents of the most cruical probe (NAS, emailgtw etc) directories from the old to the new install. This actually did the trick. All scripts, AO-profiles, email-setup, UMP settings were intact. 

Regards

Espen