DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Moving UIM Server install to new environment

Posted Nov 11, 2020 05:20 AM

Hello,

We are in the process of moving our UIM installation (20.1) to a new set of servers, due to a change in company hosting environment.

Firstly, I backed up the CA_UIM database and restored this to the new server running SQL Server. So far so good.

Then, I shut down UIM and made a copy of the Nimsoft-folder. I moved this to the new UIM server and placed it in the "program files (x86)" folder.

I changed the IP-adress to the new sql server in the data_enginge config

I then proceeded to run the 20.1 installation. But here I encountered a problem. 

I get to the point where the installation starts to configure the automated_deployment_engine probe. This operation fails after 5 minutes. The installation-log reads:

2020-11-10 15:41:58,251 WARN probe.ProbeController:waitForResponse:245 [Thread-37] - nametoip failed: (4) not found, Received status (4) on response (for sendRcv) for cmd = 'nametoip' name = 'automated_deployment_engine'
    2020-11-10 15:42:00,762 ERROR probe.ProbeController:waitForResponse:256 [Thread-37] - Failed to communicate with probe 'automated_deployment_engine' in the allotted time.
    2020-11-10 15:42:00,762 ERROR impl.UIMServerConfigureController:run:477 [Thread-37] - NimException caught
    (6) permission denied, Failed to communicate with probe 'automated_deployment_engine' in the allotted time of 300 secs.
    at com.nimsoft.install.nimcommon.probe.ProbeController.waitForResponse(ProbeController.java:257)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.waitForProbeToRespondCommon(UIMServerConfigureController.java:3290)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.waitForProbeToRespondCommon(UIMServerConfigureController.java:3276)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.configureAde(UIMServerConfigureController.java:1423)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at com.nimsoft.install.nimcommon.method.NimMethodCallback.invokeMethod(NimMethodCallback.java:532)
    at com.nimsoft.install.nimcommon.method.NimMethodCallback.invokeMethod(NimMethodCallback.java:516)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.doConfigure_postNMSStartupPackages(UIMServerConfigureController.java:530)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.doConfigure(UIMServerConfigureController.java:491)
    at com.nimsoft.install.uimserver.action.impl.UIMServerConfigureController.run(UIMServerConfigureController.java:475)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The weird thing is that before I start the installation, the controller-config says:

<environment>
    NIM_JRE_HOME = jre/jre8u232b09
    NIM_JRE_HOME_1_8 = jre/jre8u232b09
    TNS_ADMIN =
    </environment>

But sometime during the installation it changes to:

<environment>
    NIM_JRE_HOME = jre/jre8u252b09
    NIM_JRE_HOME_1_8 = jre/jre8u252b09
    TNS_ADMIN =
    </environment>

This directory does not exist. Don't know if this is related to the issue with the automated_deployment_engine.

Any body have any idea about what I could do to get past this issue?

Regards

Espen

• 2.  RE: Moving UIM Server install to new environment

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2020 09:26 AM

did you correct your robot.cfg and hub.cfg for the hub and robotip address for the new server?
    Set the controller loglevel to 3 and logsize to 5000 and set the ADE loglevel to 5 and logsize to 35000 and try restarting the nimbus service and check the logs.

Under the Nimsoft folder, you should have a JRE folder and then the JREXXXXXXX version.
    If not, it does not sound like you copied the entire nimsoft directory structure before moving it.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Moving UIM Server install to new environment

Posted Nov 17, 2020 02:17 AM

Hi,

Yeah, I corrected the configs with the new IP address and name.

The JREXXXXXX-folder is also present. The weird thing was that I was getting different errors during the install. Sometimes it faild setting up security. Sometimes on configuring ADE etc. 

I couldn't figure out why, but maybe it had something to do with the fact that my old install was a 9.2 upgraded to 20.1?

Anyway, I managed to work around the problem by just doing a clean install using the existing DB. I then copied the contents of the most cruical probe (NAS, emailgtw etc) directories from the old to the new install. This actually did the trick. All scripts, AO-profiles, email-setup, UMP settings were intact. 

Regards

Espen