DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  snmpcollector probe

Posted Oct 21, 2019 12:04 PM
    Just started using snmpcollector probe as interface_traffic no longer supported. I find it slow to configure and not that intuitive. One thing I want to do is alert if a specified port changes status from 'up' to 'down'. I am trying to configure this on a router, router is set up in adminconsole for snmpcollector. If I select the 'Interface' option in the left column I can see in the right hand side all of the ports and their current status from ifAdminStatus and ifOperStatus, if I then select the port in the left column I want to change I have set 'AdminStatusPollable' publish data and publish alarms checked with 'Compute Baseline' and 'Dynamic Alarm' checked with a major level 4 event set if !=1. Is this the correct way to create a monitor to alert on port down?

I did configure a port as a test that I know was ifAdminStatus of 2 (down) but never received an event

I did not want to have to set up snmp traps to get port status if possible but will if I have to.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: snmpcollector probe
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2019 05:59 PM

Kevin -

Check out the following Knowledge Documents:

KB34702 : How to use the snmpcollector probe
    KB41692 : How to monitor Interface link up/down with snmpcollector

T
    he first document walks you through the basics of using this probe and the second identifies the Interface metrics you would need to enable in the template you create to monitor and alarm when the Admin status is != 1.

Recommendations:

1.  Define a static alarm instead of a dynamic alarm since the dynamic alarm is based on the computed baseline and the adminstatus you are monitoring never changes so you will never get a dynamic alarm (see the Configuring Alarm Thresholds techdoc page for a description of the differences between configuring Dynamic and Static alarms)
    2.  Make sure that you have the baseline_engine and prediction_engine probes deployed on the hub where you have the snmpcollector probe deployed.  The baseline_engine probe is ultimately responsible for publishing the alarms for the snmpcollector probe.

------------------------------
    Kathy Maguire
    Technical Support Engineer 4
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------