DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

• 1.  Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 23, 2020 02:11 PM
    Hi everyone.
    I have UIM 8.51 SP1 and we want move to UIM 20.1, I know that we can upgrade UIM 8.51 SP1 to UIM 9.0.2, and UIM 9.0.2 to UIM 20.1.0, my doubth is. Is it necessary to apply UIM 9.2.0 to upgrade to 2.0.1 or we can go directly to 2.0.1?

Regards.

• 2.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 23, 2020 02:15 PM
    9.0.2 to 20.1 is supported. 
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/unified-infrastructure-management/20-1/installing/product-compatibility/supported-upgrade-paths.html

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 23, 2020 03:22 PM
    Thanks @David Michel

I have another question. If for any reason we need make rollback of the servers UIM, UMP and UR, we need rollback the db too?​​​, when we run the UIM installer change something on the DB?

• 4.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2020 03:26 PM
    yes the UIM installer and UMP instasllers change the database so it must be rolled back as well.

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 23, 2020 03:29 PM
    Yes, database schema changes from 8.5x to 9.x and again to 20.1 makes it necessary to keep all servers in sync, primary hub, ump, & database.
    UR will no longer function in 20.1 
    Previously supplied like also shows UR compatibility.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 24, 2020 01:14 AM
    Hi!
    I did exact this Update on 9th Sept. runs smoothly. Just started the Installer for 9.02. did nothing afterward except inserting a data_engineHF (only to keep myself calm), but dont think its needed. After that installed the 20.1 no Update from 9.02 to 9.20
    BUT! My mistake was not upgrading my Robots + Hubs before installing 20.1. In my 8.51 I had 7.97 in actual HF-Version running.
    Well the Robot/Hub runs after Update with 20.1 but since I had trouble with my QoS, Support told me that 7.97 isnt on the compatible-Matrix with 20.1 :-(
    So if I had to do another 8.51->20.1 Update I would check at which point, propably after 9.02 Update, I can Update all my Robots+Hubs to be compatible.
    Well.... without that I needed "at highspeed-clicking" ;-> 4h for that Update... If I had to update the Robots + Hubs within... well... propably I would split the process in two days... 

Another flawback was, that I authenticate our UMP against a LDAP, but my hub, which do the LDAP-Connection to the AD is a Linux, there is a bug, that doesnt work, there is a workaround for that, hahaha or use a Winblows-Machine for the LDAP-connection till fixed.

And since we have our complete UIM on VMware, I did clones of all Steps to roll all machines back, what I did often in our Test-Environment, and yes as stated all Machines UIM,UMP,CABI,DB, well... except I didnt touch them with a update ;->, no need to rollback cabi if no update occured ;->

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Matthias

P.S. And if you do SLA-Reporting, there is annother bug, the startingday for periods  changed in calculations (sla_engine), seems to be an arabic programmer, cause startday is now Tuesday....but call is opened.

• 7.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 24, 2020 02:33 PM
    Hi Matthias

Thanks for comment your experience. A question: What is (inserting a data_engineHF), it's to update the data_engine probe?

It's strange that Support indicate that UIM 20.1 not support 7.97 robot version because the documentation indicates that for most operating systems it is supported.

I will take your recommendation. I will update all my robots and hubs before update to 20.1, thanks.

• 8.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 24, 2020 02:45 PM
    There was a shift in licensing between 9.02 and 9.20 that is really the breaking point.

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 24, 2020 03:47 PM
    "I will take your recommendation. I will update all my robots and hubs before update to 20.1, thanks." is unnecessary.

The only issue/dependency between two hubs is that they share a compatible OpenSSL version if they communicate via a tunnel.

In this case Hub version 7.72 and newer will work (and do work in my environment) fine with a 20.10 central hub. 

Without a tunnel involved, I have seen hub 20.10 work with/interact correctly with hub 5.40. 

If you have the option of upgrading that's always a nice thing to do but note that as of about mid 7.93 hub hotfixes support for 32 bit platforms was dropped and so if you have any 32 bit hubs, you can't upgrade too far.

• 10.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 25, 2020 12:15 AM
    Sorry, but thats not what the Broadcom-Support told me, Cause we do not received QoS-Values for lots of probes, also behind tunnel, the told "update to 9.30 caus 7.97. is not compatible" and we are running all on 64bit systems, alarms  were working without any trouble :-)

If it works for you... okay... we had trouble and that was the solution of the support, just telling my experience :-)

cheers
    Matthias

• 11.  RE: Doubt for upgrade UIM 8.51 to 20.1

Posted Sep 25, 2020 12:18 AM
    Hi!
    yes just  updating...sorry was not exact im my descripition :-) and propably it is not needed, but if there is a data_engine update (Hotfix) I am with it, cause we releay heavy on QoS and SLA-Reporting.
    cheers
    Matthias