DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Why Is My Question Unanswered???

Posted Sep 09, 2019 06:51 PM
    The main and most common reason questions are not answered or answered and not resolved is due to a lack of clarity and details. It is my understanding that no one participating in this forum is a mind reader, has ESP, or any magical powers to know what's in your head. Instead, at least for myself, it is more like, does he mean this??? or perhaps this, but it could be that... In other words it starts with a guessing game on what the need is. 

Thing again at least for myself, would like to see:
    UIM revision
    a clear and detailed definition of exactly what you want to achieve
    image or example 
    if an error or unexpected results the 'exact' steps used
    exactly what is the end result desired, again an image or example, even a mock up is very helpful
    if an error log level 5 with the error
    integration questions - you have to know what methods the other product has for data input &/or export and provide details
    if OS related in any way, the revision of the OS

example of what we get:
    I want a network report

example of what it could be:
    I want a report showing the network response time for all the hubs off the primary, and for each hub showing the response time for all of it's robots. 

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Why Is My Question Unanswered???
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 09, 2019 08:14 PM
    Absolutely - Wish I could thumbs up this a hundred times.

Couple more things that are really useful:

if talking about configuring a probe, attach the whole cfg file, not just a screen shot of what you think is relevant on the GUI. 

If asking why something behaved a particular way include test data demonstrating that - anonymized but not obscured. 

If asking why something behaved wrong, explain why you think it's wrong. Behaving not as you expected is not the same as wrong.

If you don't agree with or like someone response, don't just say that. It's OK if the response is wrong or not applicable but consider that the response is that way because the original post is inadequate. A reply of "Well that doesn't work for me." with nothing more is awful - where does one go from there? A reply of "Well that doesn't work for me because I forgot to mention originally that my log file line is sometimes broken across two lines and so how do I match that?" Shares a bunch of the same words but is far more actionable and leaves a much better emotional feeling.

If english isn't your primary language, it might not be politically correct to ask but it's helpful to know. I have no idea how "politically correct" would translate into Slavic for instance - likely the words would mean something completely different coming out of google translate than I intended. 

Also keep in mind that everyone participating in this forum has a real job and it's not answering questions here. Consider your initial question and subsequent responses in the light of the fact that the responses you get are coming because the person writing the response desires to help. Even the Broadcom employees that participate here are doing so in addition to their main support or development responsibilities. 

Reread your post before clicking Send - it's amazing how many posts are riddled with mistakes that affect the interpretation of the text negatively. You are implicitly asking for time from the people who will respond so take the time initially to make sure your post is accurate and correct. I read this one through five times or so (probably still mistakes in it but hey, it's late.)

Not to color other peoples' opinions with my own but I am a hundred times more likely to comment on a thread if it starts with an obvious attempt to work out the issue than if it starts with an obvious lack of initial effort. 

And finally, if you find a solution to your problem, make sure it's clear in the thread what the solution was - even if you gave up and never solved the problem. 

-Garin