DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 23, 2020 03:29 PM
    Hi all,

I would like to forward UIM alarms to another system. Preferably, I'd like to make some kind of rule that forwards selected alarms. And even better, I'd like to be able to send the alarm as a json formatted string to a url as a rest message post.

Does anyone know if this feature is available in UIM? Or how one might do it?

Regards,
    Rick

• 2.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 23, 2020 03:52 PM
    Nothing out of the box to do this.
    at the nas end might be able to script something but since the goal is to send a json check out uimapi it provides an interface to make rest calls for you to get your alarms. But then need to figure a way to send them to your destination. 
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/probe-development-tools/restful-web-services/uimapi-apis/uimapi-call-reference.html

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 23, 2020 03:58 PM
    Hi David,

Thanks for the response.

I was just starting to read up on the API. Do you think there is a way to subscribe to alarms from the API so I can get new alarms as they happen? Or will I need to devise a way to get them and maintain awareness of what I've already gotten previously?

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,
    Rick

• 4.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 23, 2020 04:14 PM
    That's the way nas works. An alarm comes it and it figures out what to do with it based on profiles and pre-processing rules which can all a script. 
    It has an option to email alarms but not make rest calls. 
    so maybe a profile that filters only the alarms you want and a script for sending it as a json rest call. 
    Have a few clients that have a third party application they want alarms to go to but in those cases the other app made the rest calls and handled the filtering. 

looking at the uimapi swagger the last one a post /alarms/v1 Returns a list of UIM Alarms allowing for complex filter criteria, with a time field, but that would require updating every call for the new time. 

Just a few idea, my history is in break fix and not customization, there are some here who's thing is customization so they may have better ideas for you next week.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 23, 2020 04:26 PM
    Hi again David,

Thanks for that. I'll look at both the api and the nas (link here: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/nas-alarm-server.html )

This looks promising:

Use scripts when processing alarm messages matching the criteria defined for the Auto Operator profile. Scripts can also be run by the scheduler and by the pre-processing rules filters. You can create and edit these scripts using the Lua programming language.

and

Replication: Forward alarm messages to another nas. This is useful for getting alarms from lower level nas probes (behind a firewall) to an upper level nas probe that can be monitored by UMP.

Thanks, again. I appreciate any other comments if someone else sees this post.

Regards,
    Rick

• 6.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 24, 2020 04:12 AM
    Edited by Luc Christiaens Oct 26, 2020 04:32 AM
    For performance reasons I would create a custom probe to do the job:
    - set match rules in a cfg file (so that probe doesn't need change for every new alarm match rule) or use NAS rules with as action REPOST with another subject that will come in a new ATTACH queue that is processed by your custom probe
    - write a probe in Perl with usage of: LWP::UserAgent to post json strings (or any supported language)

• 7.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2020 08:53 AM
    Have you looked at the messagegtw.  It's whole purpose is for forward alarms in JSON format to anything that can receive it.  Slack, Teams, Service Now Event, Atomic (and other Automation Products).

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/messagegtw-message-gateway.html

You control what gets sent via a NAS Rule using "webhooks".

Solution Engineer - AIOps
    Broadcom

• 8.  RE: Forwarding alarms - How do you do it?

Posted Oct 26, 2020 09:05 AM
    Hi Jay,

No, I haven't yet. I didn't know about it. But this looks to be exactly what I'm searching for. Thanks!

Regards,
    Rick