DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Posted Oct 19, 2020 09:48 AM
    Hello, I need to deploy hundreds of robots in Windows, but I don't know how to do it.

from the web console it seems that it does not work because it requires UAC disabled and for security reasons I cannot use it;

From SCCM, the robot is installed correctly but it is configured with the ip of the interface that we use for backup instead of the production ip, and later I must change it by hand in each robot.  How can I tell him to take all the ips? or just the one that starts with a specific pattern?

Finally, all the above only installs the robot without the basic probes like:  cdm or ntservices, cluster, has someone managed to generate an installer with all the probes and response file?  Install these probes from Distribuite is not fast and can't see how to select a list, only I can use wildcards about hostname, hub, etc.

thanks and greetings

------------------------------
    Team Leader
    Indra

• 2.  RE: best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2020 09:56 AM
    So first with your SCCM  install use a robotip that has a mask such as 192.168.*.* that points to the correct network to start with.
    See the controller IP section on this.
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/controller/controller-im-configuration.html
    •  
      Set specific address(es) (override)
      Specify an IP address or set of IP addresses for the robot. An override is typically used when a host has more than one network interface.
      Separate multiple IP addresses with a comma. IP addresses can contain asterisk wildcards.

Valid entries:

198.2.3.5, 138.3.4.10

198.2.*.*, 138.3.4.10

The controller and the probes it starts only listen for connections on the NIC addressed by 
    If there are no 
     addresses, the controller and the probes listen on 

next include a request.cfg that install the default set of packages and configurations if you are not using MSC.

How do I use the request.cfg file for automatic installation of probe packages? (Knowledge Base Articles - 34728)

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=34728

If you are using MSC make sure you have a dynamic group setup that the robots will auto-filter into so that MCS will see them and then deploy the default setup of probe and configurations.

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Posted Oct 19, 2020 11:01 AM
    Edited by FerranE Oct 19, 2020 11:02 AM
    Thanks for your fast response Gene;

I think I have not explained well, the problem that I have is that the servers where I install the robot by using sccm deploy,  Later use the IP of network NIC 2 and should use network NIC 3! ( network nic1 is disabled, maybe the windows VM template is not well designed, but it doesn't depend on me)

Once I install the robot with SCCM, in the UIM console of my main Hub, I can see the robots in green, but when I try to access them, it gives an error saying (you must log to the appropiate domain to access the probe) with what I can't change the IP properties of the controller , Anyway,  I don't want to do it from here either, at the end I solved this using the workarround of modify the robot.cfg file and restart the robot. But that workarround is not the good solution with hundreds of servers :)

How can I tell the installer which interface to use or which range of ips is correct from command line or from a answer file?

In my environment, most machines have network number 2 to perform backup tasks, and the production is usually the network 3 and in some old cases the network 1! 

Best Regards

Team Leader
    Indra

• 4.  RE: best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2020 11:07 AM

usually, when a server has two IP addresses they will be on two different network segments.
    IE NIC 1 192.168.1.XXX
    NIC 2 10.10.XXX.XXX
    If you set your robotip in your answer file being used for the deployment to 192.168.*.* or 192.168.1.* when the robot starts it will check all network cards in the system and attach it to the one that matches the mask provided.

If you do not have a standard in your environment for main NIC and secondary NIC such as above there will be no solution other than manually configuring it after the fact or some type of custom script you build to run after the robot deployment to check the local IP and update the robot.cfg to the correct IP address and restart the robot service.

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Posted Oct 19, 2020 03:22 PM
    Ok Thank u very much, now If I understand well the command should be similar to this, is correct? 

NimBusRobot.exe /verysilent /normalinstallation /hubip=10.82.1.100 /robotip=10.82.*.* /norestart

Team Leader
    Indra

• 6.  RE: best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Posted Oct 19, 2020 09:56 AM
    perhaps this will help:
    Bulk Robot Deployment with an XML File
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/unified-infrastructure-management/20-3/installing/deploy-robots/bulk-robot-deployment-with-an-xml-file.html

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: best practice to deploy massive robots on windows

Posted Oct 19, 2020 11:02 AM
    Thanks, I will try after I solve the main problem of install the robot.
    regards

Team Leader
    Indra