DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  EMS probe rule for processing alarms from CA Spectrum

Posted May 15, 2020 11:05 AM
    Hi,

anyone tried using EMS probe action rule to process alarms received from ca spectrum?
    currently I have action rule turn on to process alarms with anything from spectrumgtw probe, trigger an emailaction to send to respective party.

I am checking if there is any way to process the alarm to send SMS or calling script that equivalent in NAS for third part tool integration.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: EMS probe rule for processing alarms from CA Spectrum
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2020 01:19 PM
    most SMS systems can have an email sent to them as well.
    If you have the email action already set why not just use this ability?

EMS uses Groovy Script so you can look for general examples for this.
    there is a use cases section for this
    http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/ems-event-management-service/rule-use-cases.html

I do not know of many clients using EMS rules as these all have to be done by hand.

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: EMS probe rule for processing alarms from CA Spectrum

Posted May 20, 2020 09:17 PM
    Thanks for sharing that. The challenge is as a monitoring administrator, I expect the alert handling could be done through GUI similar like NAS in IM or something equivalent via admin console. I have used other monitoring product but this is the first time that I got to learn new programming language and do manual customization.

As compared with NAS probe, I do agree that not many clients are using EMS rules for alarm processing but rather fallback to using NAS. I am wondering why is EMS probe still being introduce in this case with the low adoption rate.

I have CA Spectrum on 10.4 and UIM 20.1, any suggestion if i can fallback to use alarm notifier from spectrum to send traps to UIM instead of going through the spectrumgtw probe? will this method be supported? Receiving traps from spectrum to uim is much easier to handle via NAS probe.